What next? I'm thinking 6.5 cal

pburton

Hi everyone,

So last year I had my first custom rifle built. A 7mm Rem mag and I love it. And this sport being an addiction I am thinking about what rifle to have built next. So here is what I have. I have an older Rem model 700 in 30-06 that does not get used anymore. So I decided that will be my next platform to build off of. So what should I do? Should I go bigger or smaller? I was thinking of a 6.5 of some sort. I really do not want to deal with an extreme wild cat, so something relatively common. To make it a little easier I typically hunt mule deer, antelope, and elk. I think that I have all of them covered with the 7mm. But a new rifle is on my mind. What would you do?

A 260, 260 AI, 6.5x47, or 6.5 Creedmoor would all be great options. The 6.5 Sherman would be great if you want an easy to work with wildcat. If I personally had the long action I'd look long and hard at the Sherman or 260 AI.

Being its a long action, I would go 6.5X284, works great on a long action. You wouldn't have to change the bolt or magazine, just twist on a new barrel and go. Great brass available as well as bullets. Being that it's a long action your caliber choice are pretty endless.

Thanks for the input. Can you tell me a little about the 6.5 Sherman. That is a round I know nothing about. What is that round based off of? I was thinking of a 6.5-06 but would this be a better round?

How I forgot the 6.5x284 is beyond me! Add that to the list too.

The 6.5 Sherman is basically an improved 6.5-06. Do a search for it in the Google bar at the top right corner of the page. Elkaholic is the guy that designed it and he's who you would contact to get the reamer and dies.

Hi everyone,

So last year I had my first custom rifle built. A 7mm Rem mag and I love it. And this sport being an addiction I am thinking about what rifle to have built next. So here is what I have. I have an older Rem model 700 in 30-06 that does not get used anymore. So I decided that will be my next platform to build off of. So what should I do? Should I go bigger or smaller? I was thinking of a 6.5 of some sort. I really do not want to deal with an extreme wild cat, so something relatively common. To make it a little easier I typically hunt mule deer, antelope, and elk. I think that I have all of them covered with the 7mm. But a new rifle is on my mind. What would you do?
Here's my suggestion since you have a standard LA sitting there, I would build a 6.5-284 Norma. It will whoop the pants off the short action 6.5 calibers, and will really let you stretch on out there. Barrel life is not as good as the slower 6.5 calibers, but I've been told it's not too terribly bad, and should be close to the same barrel life as the 7mm RemMag, which you are already very familiar with. And if you don't plan on high-volume shooting, then that same 6.5-284 Norma barrel should last you a long time.

Also, Lapua (the best brass money can buy) makes 6.5-284 Norma brass, and it's not that expensive comparatively. I use Lapua for my .308 Win, and it's awesome brass.

Lapua Reloading Brass 6.5mm-284 Norma Box of 100

So the consensus so far is 6.5x284? But what about the 6.5-06? Is it a barrel burner? I am not a high volume shooter. A couple hundred rounds a year per year per rifle. The .260 and 6.5x55 have been on my list as well. There are so many good calibers I was hoping someone would talk me into one or another. Thanks guys!

Nothing wrong with the 6.5-06 but the 6.5x284 sure is tough to beat. It seems to be inherently accurate with decent speed and barrel life.
Yep.

Of course since he's not going to use it for a high volume shooter he might as well step up to the .264wm.

All he needs to do is open the bolt face or swap bolt bodies.

So the consensus so far is 6.5x284? But what about the 6.5-06? Is it a barrel burner? I am not a high volume shooter. A couple hundred rounds a year per year per rifle. The .260 and 6.5x55 have been on my list as well. There are so many good calibers I was hoping someone would talk me into one or another. Thanks guys!
6.5-06 will probably be close in barrel life. Slightly less for the 6.5 Sherman (more velocity = less barrel life). As much as I like the 6.5 Sherman, I think if I build a 6.5, it will be a 6.5-284 Norma, simply because I can get Lapua brass for a reasonable price (around $1.00 each).

The .260 AI is a great cartridge, too...But the 6.5-284 is much faster, flatter, and will hit with more authority.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.