my next 30 cal

Our 300AX is fairly light. I don't remember exactly but if I recall it's right around 11.5-11.75lbs fully loaded (4 rounds and a 3rnd Seekins mag) w/5.5-22x56 NF NXS, NF pic rail and 2 sets NF rings and NO bipod. It has a Lilja #6 1-10 28in tube with a 3 port baffle brake. Recoil with this rifle is very mild and is comfortable to shoot. I don't think I would ever want one any lighter though.

Heavier rifles typically have less felt recoil and are usually easier to shoot with regard to group size so keep that in mind when you are putting together your build sheet.

IMO, you would be making a mistake by not going with some version of a 30-338Lapua Improved. You would be better off doing a 300RUM and it would likely shoot faster. Only thing you would miss out on is using Lapua brass but you can buy Bertram 338Edge brass from Defensive Edge neck it down to 30 cal and have Lapua quality brass for your 300RUM. If a 300RUM isn't your thing and you don't want to do and improved 30-338 Lapua, I would skip past both and go with a 338Edge or even a 338Edge +P from Defensive Edge. If you already have a long action donor you are thinking about building off of the 338Edge would be a no brainer.

I would strongly consider the 300 Norma.Good brass, I dont have one but have 2- 338 Normas. I love them and am on 7 reloads on some of my brass. Im guessing you can just by 300 Norma brass? The 338 you can and dies also.I have 338 as mainly elk hunter, but they are very efficent for case size and pack alot of E

Does anyone who owns a 300norma know what kind of velocity it will produce with the bigger 30's? I was looking for around 3000+ with the 215's if possible.

WOOPS... Edit: I thought you guys were talking about the .308norma... not the 300norma. After doing some research I am very interested in the .300 norma.

Are there dies available? Also does anyone besides norma make .338norma brass for necking? Thanks guys.

Last edited:
Does anyone who owns a 300norma know what kind of velocity it will produce with the bigger 30's? I was looking for around 3000+ with the 215's if possible.

WOOPS... Edit: I thought you guys were talking about the .308norma... not the 300norma. After doing some research I am very interested in the .300 norma.

Are there dies available? Also does anyone besides norma make .338norma brass for necking? Thanks guys.

I run a 300 Jazz (300 Norma Improved). I Plan on testing some 215's and 230's this weekend so I'll keep you posted. My smith pushed the 210's around 3150-3200 so I'm hoping I'll get 3150 with the 215's and 3000 with the 230's out of 26 inch tube. So far I'm very impressed with this caliber.

When the hell did brass get so expensive! (MidwayUsa Prices)(norma Brand)

.300 Norma per 20: $40.99
.300 wsm per 20: $38.99
.338 lapua per 20: 48.99

Why are alll the 300's more expensive than the .300win brass! Its the cheapest I have found.

308 norma... Very underrated

I dont see any gain over the .300win. Am I missing something? Id like to have a 30 cal that I could reload for that would actually save me some money rather than buying factory ammo. I know that reloading is more about accuracy than it is cost, but if I could have my cake and eat it too Id be a happy camper :D

I dont see any gain over the .300win. Am I missing something? Id like to have a 30 cal that I could reload for that would actually save me some money rather than buying factory ammo. I know that reloading is more about accuracy than it is cost, but if I could have my cake and eat it too Id be a happy camper :D

:D see post #4

You will save money hand loading after you have good equipment to load with. Especially with a caliber with quality brass. The added accuracy and consistency is the icing on that cake.

Jeff

When the hell did brass get so expensive! (MidwayUsa Prices)(norma Brand)

.300 Norma per 20: $40.99
.300 wsm per 20: $38.99
.338 lapua per 20: 48.99

Why are alll the 300's more expensive than the .300win brass! Its the cheapest I have found.

This place has decent prices and fast shipping.....good to deal with

$36 for 300 norma /20
$25 308 norma mag

Norma Brass

Them big cases are expensive....lol

Nice call bro!

I will probably be going with a .300 norma.

-- good brass
-- short case for a long action so I can seat the bullets out and still have a repeater
-- DECENT priced components for what I need (I dont need a .30-378wby)
-- More efficient than most of the longer cases (less powder for similar performance)
-- Beltless... doesnt matter all that much, but if I had a choice.. id go beltless
-- not terribly popular, so SOMEONE may have the components in stock!

Thanks for all the help guys. Any more advice and suggestions will be much appreciated. Thanks for the patience as well.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.