next 6.5 build

midwesthunter

Got some other projects done and out of the way, now its time to build me a 6.5 hot rod. I'm torn between 3 calibers. A 6.5 STW, 6.5 Allen Mag, or the new 26 nosler. The 6.5 STW has easy case forming can push a 140 to 3350
6.5 AM more involved case forming push a 140 to 3550
26 Nosler no case work, push a 130 to 3400.

It will be a 30" barrel leaning towards krieger 1-8 twist.
Now there is no real data on the 26 nosler and I know brass is suppose to be available n March. But that will be before the build is finished. Plan on shooting antelope and deer with it. Or anything else smaller. Any other barrel burners out there I'm overlooking? Help me decide what to build.

Got some other projects done and out of the way, now its time to build me a 6.5 hot rod. I'm torn between 3 calibers. A 6.5 STW, 6.5 Allen Mag, or the new 26 nosler. The 6.5 STW has easy case forming can push a 140 to 3350
6.5 AM more involved case forming push a 140 to 3550
26 Nosler no case work, push a 130 to 3400.

It will be a 30" barrel leaning towards krieger 1-8 twist.
Now there is no real data on the 26 nosler and I know brass is suppose to be available n March. But that will be before the build is finished. Plan on shooting antelope and deer with it. Or anything else smaller. Any other barrel burners out there I'm overlooking? Help me decide what to build.
I'm a huge fan of the 6.5 STW and have enough 7mm STW saved up already feeding one would be no problem for me.

That being said, while I hate to jump on a fad, much prefer to let others do the experimenting, my next 6.5 is going to be a 26 Nosler. With it being their proprietary cartridge we're assured a good supply of brass in the future along with quality factory ammo and those are two things I always consider when preparing to dive off into any new caliber.

For a 6.5 build I went with 6.5-06. Using a 28in 3 groove 8 twist.
Getting 3100 plus fps with both 140gr amax's and Berger hybrids using H4350.
Necked up Norma 25-06 brass and 210m primers. Having fun with this round, low recoil and fairly flat from the testing I've done.

A friend wants me to build something has been thinking about, a big 6.5 also. He came up with a 7RUM case necked down to 6.5. He wants to shoot the largest bullets and have plenty of case capacity.

It would still require a custom reamer but the dies could be 7 RUM bushing dies and use the 6.5 bushings.

With a case capacity of around 104 grains It should be very fast with big bullets, and the cases is beltless for another thing. (I don't have any problems with belted cases but some do).

Long actions and magnum bolt faces make it simple.

Just another one to consider.

J E CUSTOM

A friend has been thinking about building a big 6.5 also and came up with a 7RUM case necked down to 6.5. He wants to shoot the largest bullets and have plenty of case capacity.

It would still require a custom reamer but the dies could be 7 RUM bushing dies and use the 6.5 bushings.

With a case capacity of around 104 grains It should be very fast with big bullets, and the cases is beltless for another thing. (I don't have any problems with belted cases but some do).

Long actions and magnum bolt faces make it simple.

Just another one to consider.

J E CUSTOM

I thought about this as well 6.5 ultra cat, I remember reading somewhere that the 6.5 stw throat last longer then the ultra cat. Thats why Kirby used the 338 rum case and not the 7mm. SOmething to think about.

as yogi would say "its dejavu all over again". roll the clock back a few years like 50
and guess what the most popular long range cartridge was? if you guessed 6.5x300
weatherby you would win a prize. it was and still is a very good cartridge for those
wanting a big 6.5. but then along came better bullets for other calibers and the 6.5
was forgotten. a few years ago i decided to build a 6.5 short mag because i never
owned a 6.5x300 weatherby. an 8 twist 26" brux barrel gave me 3350 with a
140 berger. whats not to like about that? well nothing i guess, except my 7x300
weatherby gives me that much with a 162 hornady. so will an stw, and a 7 ultra
will give a little more. if my memory serves me correctly thats the reason the 6.5
lost its popularity 40 years ago. i think yogi was right. probably about alot of things.

I thought about this as well 6.5 ultra cat, I remember reading somewhere that the 6.5 stw throat last longer then the ultra cat. Thats why Kirby used the 338 rum case and not the 7mm. SOmething to think about.

When a person enter into ultra high velocity cartridges he has to except that the throat/barrel life
will be short.

I shot out a 7 STW barrel in less than 300 rounds pushing a 140 gr bullet 3750 ft/sec. so
if you are interested in any overbore cartridge, short throat life comes with the territory.

I think Kirby used the 338 RUM case because it was shorter than the other RUMs and aloud for longer bullet seating in standard mag lengths.

J E CUSTOM

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.