What is your favorite "RIMFIRE" Cartridge and what is your rifle?

Coyote Shadow Tracker

LRH Sponsor
What is your favorite "RIMFIRE" and what is your rifle?

We just had a huge storm hit here with 60 + mph winds 0.25" hail and torrential rain. Was in our Kiddie pool trying to cool off from the heat and having some Tropical Drinks. Got out of the water just in time. Since it started raining we got almost an inch of rain and have a small river running through my back yard and started a 3 acre pond next to my house.

What a pre 4th​ of July night!

Tried to get to where the Armadillos are hold up, but the weather drove me into the house.

I figured a good time to write up a post on which Rimfire you like while waiting for the Street Power to back on.

I have been using Remington .22 "Yellow Jackets" with a 33gr Truncated Hollow Point for many years. Out of all my inventory of .22s they shoot the best and are really effective for a quick kill. Very ACCURATE and consistent. Shoot it mostly out of a TC Classic, which I have retired because I "Renovated it" and it is better looking than the original models that are unfortunately discontinued.

Also shoot the Hornady 17 HMR 20gr XTP. Excellent rimfire. Good accuracy, distance and explosive power. We have a custom Volquartsen with a Thumbhole McMillan stock and CF Barrel. Volquartsen does not make this model anymore. Great caliber & bullet for everything from Squirrels to Coyotes. Have a Leupold 3-9 x 33mmRimfire EFR CDS Fine Duplex. A FINE SHOOTER.

Just had the Owner of Volquartsen tune up the bolt/action and put a new CF Barrel on it. Didn't need a new barrel but the threads on the muzzle didn't fit for my CAN.

Well the street power came back on, the storm is moving away, Jill and I are going to have some Baby Back Ribs, have some more tropical drinks and get into the Kidde Pool (I put wireless underwater lights in to set the mood)

Happy Independence Day tomorrow and God Bless

Len & Jill

Attachments

• 22 Rimfire and 17HMR.jpg
    22 Rimfire and 17HMR.jpg
    154.7 KB · Views: 329
  • Cassies Pool.jpg
    Cassies Pool.jpg
    156.2 KB · Views: 277
I shoot 22lr's and 17hmr's. The 17's are awesome but after getting into long range rimfire it's awaken a new kind of fun for the 22. My favourite rimfire now is the 22lr due to it.

I shoot a cil/anschutz 64 22lr with a Nikon prostaff efr reticle for my grouse hunting needs while in moose country and a vudoo v22 for my long range target and plinking. I have a second vudoo being built as we speak and should hopefully be back in a couple weeks.

Last year I was able to claim a few long range kills with the 22lr with a 212 and 187 yard on a tree rat, 231 on a crow and 150 on black bird.

19F68402-8D59-4BFA-8C49-96C3CEA3AA71.jpeg
168F92F6-3A5E-4AC8-A21A-867816E4D06A.jpeg
3CA8ABE8-AE73-4A1A-B1CE-8975396DAFAB.jpeg

Hey, mine is a Rem 541 heavy barrel target model. Had the trigger tuned up and it pretty much shoots all 22LR into small groups. But it likes the old Rem target ammo the best.
Take Care
I had one of those years ago and it shot pretty well. Today my favorite rimfires are my new Bergara BMR that loves CCI Mini-Mag 36 gr Varmint rounds, a Henry H001 22WMR that also shoots CCIs great and lastly my Savage 93 in 17HMR. The Bergara though is by far the most accurate and can puts 10 rounds into a ragged hole at 75 yards. I found that if I lube the bullets they are way more accurate than unlubed.
The center target is the CCIs. IMO that ain't too shabby off a bipod.

Attachments

• Ammo test Rd 2 copy.jpg
    Ammo test Rd 2 copy.jpg
    160.9 KB · Views: 184
  • BMR.jpg
    BMR.jpg
    257.5 KB · Views: 160
I notice you are into high/hyper velocity ammo. For my ESRH in the woods of Arkansas I have settled upon 22 LR Subsonic HPs. Use it for a variety of critters and varmints. Accurate and kills very well. Doesn't spook the squirrels as much as hypersonic.
But now is a bad time to buy good Subsonic ammo. Some makers have quit making it. And it is hard to find now. But it is my preferred ammo for hunting.

I shoot 22lr's and 17hmr's. The 17's are awesome but after getting into long range rimfire it's awaken a new kind of fun for the 22. My favourite rimfire now is the 22lr due to it.

I shoot a cil/anschutz 64 22lr with a Nikon prostaff efr reticle for my grouse hunting needs while in moose country and a vudoo v22 for my long range target and plinking. I have a second vudoo being built as we speak and should hopefully be back in a couple weeks.

Last year I was able to claim a few long range kills with the 22lr with a 212 and 187 yard on a tree rat, 231 on a crow and 150 on black bird.

View attachment 376199View attachment 376200View attachment 376201
DARN NICE!!!!!!!!!!
Those VUDOs are Awesome and seems like you have them dialed in!!
Good shooting!!!!
Thanks for sharing!!

Recent Posts