What 22LR is you favorite past 100yds?

threejones

(That was supposed to say "your" favorite, not "you")

I just got back from a gopher shoot east of Kalispell. We didn't bring the range finder so I can't speak to "exactly" 100yds, but I can usually pace it off to within 5yds or so. We had a couple target barreled Rugers a Savage(sporter barrel, don't know what model) and 3 CZs(all 452s, my military trainer and 2 Americans). We found that all of em were great to 100yrds. But after that, the CZs just seemed to walk away from the others (my best kill today was pushing 150-160)

I read a couple of the other threads on longer 22LR shooting, and noticed that there seems to be a lot of us CZ guys. This got me to thinkin... what's every body else that shooting 22LR long range with? Put up some pics of your rigs as well. These little guns need some love too!

Mine's a CZ 452 Military Trainer wearing a Nikon Prostaff BDC 3x9(I'll put up a pic if the computer will let me)

Last edited:
IMG_2590.jpg

Winchester 52B with 20x Lyman.

I have posted about my CZ 455 in other threads. It is my go to gun. It works on big AND little critters.:) I just got it this year. It's longest kill is a grackle at 210 yards.

I have pillar bedded it and done some bolt work. It wears a Tasco 6-24x42 Mil Dot. I made the elevation turret from a piece of oak.

3.jpg

target 1.jpg

right side.jpg

left side.jpg

The "custom" turret is my kinda smithing. I've got a buddy with an old goofy Savage that kept breaking firing pins, that is until he spent about 4hours with a dremmel tool and turned a little Craftsman wrench into the new one. It's not an accurate gun, but after several thousands of rounds, it still almost never has any issues.

Thats a great 200 yd target!
I like my Savage TR past 100 yds. Someday, if the quits blowing around here I'll try a 200 yd group. Untill that happens I'll just keep hitting the steel plates I have set up out to 250. gun)

Mine is my; Weatherby Mk XXII it has a Leupold M8 6X42mm on it right now... I'm putting on a 6-18x40 this week. The rifle is extremely accurate and does quite well even with a 6X at 200 yards...
Weatherby Mark XXII Rifle

I know a guy that says it's not that much different than 200, just a matter of figuring bullet drop. I've heard that you can't punch all the way through a Gatoraid bottel at 300, you'll have o let us know when you try it.

I shot at 285 yards today. There was very little wind. A 40 grain subsonic will go through at least two gatorade bottles at that range. They can also be DEADLY accurate.gun) I started with the stock rested on a 3x4" pine board. I was shooting at my 3.5x4" swinger. I was hitting the swinger 1 out of 3-4 shots.

I was a little disappointed, so I took off my shirt and put it under the front of the rifle. I didn't miss a single shot after that!:D I searched for remnants of bullets around the target and all I found were shards and ribbons. The delay between the bang and the hit felt like forever. It took 3 turns on the turret to get to 285 yards from 50 yards. THIS IS FUN!:D

That's a long way for a 22! Nice shooting! After hearing that, and some other stories about long 22 shots, I'm game. I'll gotta give it a try next time I'm out. I've never cranked that scope that far up. I'm interested to see if it'll do it, or if I'll have to swap it out for one of my big-kid scopes. I'll let you know how it goes.

That's a long way for a 22! Nice shooting! After hearing that, and some other stories about long 22 shots, I'm game. I'll gotta give it a try next time I'm out. I've never cranked that scope that far up. I'm interested to see if it'll do it, or if I'll have to swap it out for one of my big-kid scopes. I'll let you know how it goes.

I have my scope shimmed so I can get out farther. I don't know haw far it will adjust, but I would not be surprised if it goes to 500 yards. My 50 yard zero is a 1/2 turn from the bottom end.:Dgun)

Recent Posts