Whats your longest rimfire kill?

I wouldn't have believed it if I wasn't there but I watched my buddy kill a rock chuck at 304 yards with his 17 HMR. He hit him right between the eyes and turned his head into a canoe (I got to watch his head explode through the scope of my 22-250). I've watched that same buddy routinely kill rock chucks between 125 and 250 yards with his 17 but 304 was by far the longest and still amazes me.

A few years ago I killed a coyote with a .17HMR at almost 250 yards with a lucky shot to the eye. Last year I shot a coyote with a .22LR at about 175. She took a couple of shots but luckily for me the first one spined her and she was unable to run away. The next two to the head finished it.

About 35 years ago, before I knew better about shooting safely, I hit a duck in a waterhole from 100 yards away with my dad's Smith & Wesson K-22 revolver. Blew his head of, hitting him just below the eye. Fluke? You bet!!!

Buzzard at 246 yards with my Marlin 880SQ .22lr shooting CCI 40 grain sub-sonics. 33MOA of adjustment and held about 15 inches to the right for wind. Hit it dead center in the chest on the first shot. It flew directly towards me and then fell from the sky after about 80 yards. Bullet went clean through which surprised me. Scope is a Nitrex 3-15X42 in Burris Signature rings with 30MOA in them. The shot was part luck seeing how my average 200 yard groups are between 3-5 inches on a calm day but, it sure made me smile:D

Came super close to hitting a crow at somewhere around 420 yards this spring. A couple of years ago I introduced a couple of my buddies into shooting (they had shot and deer hunted but weren't reg shooters) and now every year we have a little $20 bet on who can get the longest kill with the .22lr. Only rules are that one of the other 4 has to witness it and you have to have a pic of the dead animal. Anyways, my current range finder is just a Nikon 440 and struggles to range past 370 unless the background is right. Got it to read 420 something once and had no idea how high to aim but adjusted my scope for 275 yards which is where it runs out and then held HIGH. First shot didn't come anywhere close. Never saw the impact. There was a tree about 50 yards in front of us between the crow and I decided to aim above certain branches for a reference point. Turned my scope down to 5X to have a wider FOV to aim higher and sent another round down range. My buddy about chit when he saw the impact come within less than 2 feet of the crow. Couldn't tell you exactly how far to the right I was holding for the wind but I'm wanting to guess around 7-10 yards which was just a hair too much. Elevation was **** near perfect. The impact looked as though the bullet fell from the sky. I know it may not have been the most humane or even lethal kill had I hit, but I couldn't help myself. Would have been the winning shot for sure. Afterwards I shot at this dark patch of grass close to where the crow had been a few times and managed to put several shots in the general area. We both told my one other buddy about how close I came and he doesn't believe it. Thinks we're both over exagerating the range. He's very skeptical and doesn't believe the buzzard shot either:rolleyes: I don't care though. Had no witness and although it would have been nice to be able to count it for the bet, the memory is the only thing I care about. I saw it and will never forget it. Making it on the first shot made it the best shot I've ever had with any rifle to date.

Last edited:
135yards is what i paced off on 2 squirrels about the size of house cats, Savage MKII 22lr, Remington Viper 40gr rounds Zeroed for 50yds, held 3 mills high and 1 mill for wind.

I was spotting for my dad at a rock squirrel just short of 300. He was shooting my Savage in 17HMR, one shot. We've shot several prarie dogs at and just over 200 yards. Last week, my cousin had a double @ 160 on 2 PDs. Those 17HMRs are a lot of fun, even in a stiff wind.

My savage is topped off with a Cabelas pine ridge w/ balistic turrets that match pretty close to my Hornady 17gr V-max ammo. I tested the drop and have the turret marked where it really is at 300. It is only 6 or 8 click off at 300.

I was doing some moon observing the other night, and I spotted a moondog. I rigged my rimfire rifle to the telescope, took careful aim, and let go the shot. About a week later, I figured it was about time for the moondog shot to make lunar contact. Broke out the telescope and started looking around. There was that moondog still standing on that crater like a prairie dog on his mound. Then......WHAP!!! My shot really bowled him over.

The secret to moondog shooting is to use special "escape velocity" rimfire ammo. Go check MidwayUSA to find some, as they advertise they have just about anything for the shooting sport. If this sounds like BS, then realize they sell some BS gear as well. They got it all. BRING MONEY.