What is your best deer rifle

700 BDL 7mm rem mag. 120gr BT for the small fallow bucks, 140gr AB or 154gr Hornady for red deer and 180gr for sambar. Seems to do the job on all Australian game!

Browning BAR Short trec, 308 win, 20" barrel.
Blaser R93, 6.5x55
First one is a proven killer machine - love it. The longest result shot on elk hunting was 660 m.
Second one is my recent purchase. Last year I took a elk on 200 meters.

My goto was for many years an M14 (not M1A) reworked by a retired MRT armourer into a NM model using a 180 SMK (old style) and a charge of Win 748 gave me 2550 fps at the muzzle.

During hunting seasons 50 deer fell to that combo at ranges up to 650 yards and a most of it was with the match iron sights, though some time later the same fellow fitted a custom made scope mount to it. If we talk about culling then hundreds would be a better number.

The new rifle will be a 300 Win Mag built on a Stevens 200 action and a 26 inch heavy varmint profile and now living in an HS3 chassis, bullet has of yet not been determined.

Same one for hunting everything in North America: .270 Win. It's darn near as good as the .280 Rem, but I don't own one of those. Were I to pick the best cartridge for all North American big game hunting, it'd be the .280 Rem. What separates it from the .270 Win is the legendary 175 grain bullet the .280 Rem fires. The .284 caliber 175 grain bullet has legendary penetrative ability. But the 150 grain .270 Win Partition ain't too far behind. The '06 is right up there with the .280 Rem.

BTW, any of these three will kill just as dead as ANY mega-magnum. All you gotta do is put bullets where they need to go.

How long would anyone suppose an elk could like without topside oxygenated blood flow? Maybe 30 seconds? A minute, tops? Does it matter what destroys an elk's heart? Or does importance lie in destroying it?

Well for me I have 3 choices for killing deer. My favorite is my bow but if the freezer is empty I'll grab a rifle. One choice is a Savage .243 that will soon be getting a change in appearance to become a long range deer and antelope and coyote gun. I've only shot one with that one with that rifle. DRT with 100gr PowerPoints. I live in some thick GA woods so last year it was my Marlin Guide Gun in 45-70 shooting a 405gr load which casts at about 436gr. I push that one to around 1500 fps and use open sights. Only got one with that combo and it was DRT and able to eat right to the bullet hole. I'm pretty fond of that Rifle, I can carry it all day no problem, it's quick to shoulder and I have shot anything from 150 gr collar buttons to the 436gr cast and I can make it kick like a puppy dog or draw a tear from any man.

I personally love my M7 KS in 7-08. I've killed a pile of good deer with a 270 in a Beretta Mato config, and a Sako 75 FL in 300 wsm. I'm more of a 6mm 6.5mm and 7mm fan for deer these days. 6.5 is hands down my favorite round as we speak. I should have mine built in about 5-6 weeks! Can't wait to get it!

I personally love my M7 KS in 7-08. I've killed a pile of good deer with a 270 in a Beretta Mato config, and a Sako 75 FL in 300 wsm. I'm more of a 6mm 6.5mm and 7mm fan for deer these days. 6.5 is hands down my favorite round as we speak. I should have mine built in about 5-6 weeks! Can't wait to get it!

6.5 is a great caliber!

This is an easy one for me.

.270 Winchester Weatherby vanguard vgx. This rifle has been my deer slayer for 19 years. I have two .308's and a 300 wsm but I always seem to reach for my .270. This rifle is half MOA with 130 SGK's and IMR 4064.

I would have to say, 25-06. First gun I ever owned. I have taken more whitetail with this rifle than any other sitting in my safe. Remington 700 BDL with a 3-9x40 Tasco.

I would have to say, 25-06. First gun I ever owned. I have taken more whitetail with this rifle than any other sitting in my safe. Remington 700 BDL with a 3-9x40 Tasco.

25-06 is a great whitetail rifle.....I've killed more deer than I can remember with Barnes 100gr TSXs and TTSXs..... and Nosler Paritions years ago before I discovered Barnes bullets.

Sako M995 in 7mm Magnum, 26 inch Brux, original bedded stock, NSX 5.5-32 NightForce. Used this rifle for 22 years, and 3rd barrel.

My favorite consistent deer rifle is a 30-06 Mossberg 1500 made by Howa. I used a Leopold 3x9 for many years but put a new Vortex Viper on it a couple years ago. Killed a lot of deer and a few elk and antelope too.