What is your best deer rifle

Depends on where I'm hunting at the time and the right tool for the job. For beanfields and long range I like my Rem 700 in 300 RUM with a 185 Berger handload, for the woods and northern whitetails I use an old model 70 in 338 WM with a Barnes 225 TTSX handload maybe overkill but never undergunned, my truck gun for all around deer and hogs is a Rem 700 20" tactical with a 168 SMK handload.

I normally question such large calibers for white-tails, but it's hard to argue with those pictures. You are hunting large animals and obviously killing them! Nice deer!

In Saskatchewan I use a Rem. Sendero 300 win mag with 180 grain partitions, in Michigan I use a browning A-Bolt BOSS in 30-06 with 165 grain accubonds.

7mm Magnum Sako action mated with a 26 inch lightweight Brux barrel, muzzle brake, Leupold LRT 6.5 x20 and it loves Accubonds, Bergers, GameKings and other bullets with Reloader 19. Majority of loads shoots .25 to .35 MOA all day
Here is a picture of my 100 yard group with 7 Mag and 140 grain Accubonds at 3225 fps.

Gpw9ehX.jpg

7mm magnum sako action mated with a 26 inch lightweight brux barrel, muzzle brake, leupold lrt 6.5 x20 and it loves accubonds, bergers, gamekings and other bullets with reloader 19. Majority of loads shoots .25 to .35 moa all day
here is a picture of my 100 yard group with 7 mag and 140 grain accubonds at 3225 fps.

gpw9ehx.jpg

very nice!!

I usually use my Kimber 8400 270 WSM with a Burris 4-14 and 130 Berger Classic Hunters. It functions really well and is crf. It will shoot 165 Matrix vld's very well also.

Lately though I have been hunting with my 1963 M700 7RM with a 2-7 Burris and 168 Berger Classic hunters. My buddy did a stock for it and it shoots pretty well with the factory stainless Douglass barrel.

Easy peasey, lemon squeezie...mine is a Remington Model 700 BDL in 25-06 Rem. Outshines the various 270s, 300s, and 243 in our arsenal. Go to deer and antelope cartridge that puts them down hard, groups tight, and is a dream to shoot.

Remington 700 Sendero, 25/06, Leupold 3.5x10x40 shooting 120gr nosler partions

Man, I love that choice. Hard to argue this one. I've had better success with the 100gr ballistic tips for deer, but I love my 25/06. How does it group?

Since we can hunt deer/elk same season I'll use one of my elk rifles for that tag. Last year I drew separate season buck tag and I used Lilja barrel 270 with 150gr ABLR. I never know till draw result since we have 4 choices on tag and one year I drew 4th choice and first choice cow tag same dates.

Love your choice. The 270 a great deer and elk cartridge. Have you recovered one of the 150 ABLR from an elk yet? We've killed almost a dozen with the 140 accubond, but I'm a little concerned about the softness of the ABLR...hoping folks like you can validate it as an elk bullet.

Custom 338 Ultra Mag built on a Borden Timberline with a Hart barrel and McMillan Game Scout. Shooting the Berger 300 Elite Hunter.

Holy-bear-rifle batman! Man with that sucker, shot placement has to be as precise as it would be with a .223, but for different reasons. Still, if you shoot it well, then who can argue it isn't enough gun?!

Wow, we got everything from the old reliable 30/30 Winchester to Military rifles to the bigger magnums and everything in between here. And the best thing is they all get the job done and put venison in the freezer. Like I posted earlier I'm going to give the Browning X Bolt in 6.5 Creedmoor a try this year but my Browning A Bolt in 30/06 won't be to far away.

It all depends on where I will be hunting. The one rifle that just jumps out of the safe into my arms is my custom Rem 700 25-06 with 26" Shilen SS #6 barrel in HS precision stock with Zeiss Diavari 3-12x56 scope shooting 117 Sierra Pro Hunter 3000 fps. I have killed in excess of 100 deer with this rifle.

For really long bean fields a Custom Rem 700 264 Win mag with a 27 3/4" Shilen #4 barrel with a Meopta 3-12x56 scope in a Hogue full bed stock shooting 130 Accubonds 3350 fps.

For easy handling from tree stands in the woods and for walking type hunting I use a custom Rem 700 308 Win with a 21 1/2" Heart target taper barrel with a tight neck chamber in a Brown Precision stock I custom painted with USMC style digit-camouflage. I have an old Leupold VXII 3-9x50 with custom target turrets and a heavy #4 type cross hair. After shooting around 100 deer with this rifle with many different weight bullets I have settled on the 125 Nosler BT at 3000 fps. Out to just a little over 300 yards so far this bullet put where it is supposed to go, which is easy with this rifle, it is 99% of the time BANG FLOP. This rifle was made in the early 1980s as a hunter class bench rest rifle and it is a tack driver.

It is not a rifle but my most fun deer killer out to 200 yards so far is a T/C Contender pistol with a 14" SS Shilen barrel in 30-30AI with a Weaver 2.5-8x28 pistol scope shooting a 125 Nosler BT at 2670 fps. Very accurate and DEADLY.
I mix in some other stuff but these are my favorite ones.

Weatherby .243 with hornady 87gr bthp handload. Served me well for hunting red deer. Just got a Tikka in 7mm mag for a bit of long range hunting.