What is the rifle you passed by that you regret not buying

Colt Sauer in 300 WIN MAG. One of my brothers had taken it as payment for some mechanic work at his garage in the early 80s. He wanted(to cover his work) $250 for it. I was in love with my REM 700 7mm MAG. I said naw...
saw my first colt sauer in the late 70's at eddie Bauer before they went Libertad. but I wS a poor college student. finally bought a beaut in 300 weatherby a couple of years ago. the actions are just smooth as silk and the wood is much nicer than on the sauers.

That 329 kicked itself out of house and home. i emptied a full cylinder in mine before deciding that it kicked too hard. Then I sent it away for Quadraporting at Magnaport. That tamed it, so the recoil is now only slightly worse than the 4" Model 29. I've shot every big handgun I could get my hands on, the unported 329 PD was very painful, like getting hard electric shock in the hand. The second worst was a Linebaugh 500 with 525 gr bullets at 1100 fps. That rolled uncontrollably in my hand even with the Bisley grip frame. Then I realized it was a half a 458 Lott in a pistol...
I laugh at 329pd posts because they typically sell with a box missing 3-6 shells. When I bought mine in a sporting goods store used case, it came with a box of 18 lol.

I shot the crud out of mine with HSM 305gr bear loads, which was about the max I could handle. It finally tipped the scales for me when I tried buffalo bore "low recoil" 255gr, designed for the 329. Those kicked so dang hard it flicked the Hillary lock over and locked up the cylinder. I didn't even know that was possible.

I once (1970s) passed up a double-set trigger octagon barrel German 8mm Mauser with leaf sights and nice wood in perfect condition for $80! Later I let a Savage 24 in .357 mag/20ga get away, I didn't want to pay $300.

I have two... a mint condition Savage 99 .358 Winchester I had a chance at in a Colorado gun shop a few years ago. Second is a custom BRNO XKK 602 .375 H&H. Great wood, double square bridge action, 25" bbl, express sights, single-set trigger, etc. Built for a hunt that never happened.

Recent Posts