What is the advantage of low power scopes?

Smoak352

I am trying to decide between a 3-18x50 vs 5-30x50 scope. Why would anyone buy the 3-18x50 scope? Do you really need a magnification lower than 5? With both set on 5x isn't the field of view the same?

Thanks

I tend to buy low power on the bottom end scopes because the lower power has a wider field of view and better low light sight ability. I prefer a 4.5 low end with a 14 or so on top.

Just my preference, but then, most of my tramping in the woods is close in shooting with very few shots over 250 yards and most in the 100 yard range or less.

I took a late season doe with the scope dialed at 4.5 @265 yards with no acquisition issue.

1. Brighter
  2. Ease of acquisition
  3. If good glass one heck of a long shot can be made at LR. Especially if FFP.
I'm w/flip on this one.

My fav scope is 4/5-14

So if the lowest setting I ever use is 6 then I should go with the highest power scope? Such as the 5-25x52? Is this scope too large for a weatherby mark v in 257wby?

The other problem with a high power scope (not all scopes mind you) is the weight factor. I want a low weight when lugging across hill and dale, because I'm old and I like extra granola bars in the packpack.

Higher power scopes in general are heavier..... You'll feel every extra ounce at the end of a long day.

My cousin shoots without any scope, uses a peep sight.....:D... and he's good with it.

FFP scopes are certainly better, at a price of course.

Good glass allows one to acquire the potential kill quickly and accurately and like I said previously, most times, I'm dialed down to 4.5.... especially at sunrise and dusk.

You get too big on the objective and you'll have issues with mounting as far as the objective clearing the barrell one reason Leupy went to the V recess on the objective (not that I've ever tried one), I think they look...odd.

My rule of thumb is I want the scope to sit as low as possible on the rail and still allow good eye relief and cheek weld on the firearm. In a woods shot you want to pull it up quick and be looking at what you want to shoot at in a split second so the low power allows a wider field of view for acquisition, at least for me, unlike a long range shot where you actually have time to adjust yourself and the firearm. To that end, a 50mm objective is as big as I want to go.

None of that applies (I assume) on out west shooting where you could hang a Palomar on the rail because you have time to set up for a shot. I don't have that luxury in the woods up here. Most times, the quarry is there, and gone in a flash.....

Interestingly Roy, mine too and we hunt in 2 entirely different arena's.

Just for chit chat, here's the scoop on the scope.

It's an old out of manufacture Weaver 4.5-14 x 44 FFP Mil Dot Tactical w/1/8 Min clicks. It's on a 338 RUM. I practice on rocks out to about 1200 yards.

The appreciation of the combination of low power, good glass and reticle comes under two situations.

One is when at the "hide" or ambush spot on the adjacent mountain where shots may be out to the 1200 yard practice limit when the sky clouds up or that side is in shadow. When watching and dry firing on deer with the powder reduced the deer can be bracketed very confidently between mil dots. (Was after a bull elk at the time and none came by :rolleyes:)

The other is when going from and to the hide at both ends of the day. This scope is on my carry gun (Rem 700 sporter w/tupperware stock). @ the bottom power and close range the 5 mil dots in 4 directions plus the thicker lines make for quick acquisition on a muley in the timber. Pretty sweet. Tends to make one wanna poach.:rolleyes:)

All in all its sweet!

So if the lowest setting I ever use is 6 then I should go with the highest power scope? Such as the 5-25x52? Is this scope too large for a weatherby mark v in 257wby?
I think that power is higher than you need. I have a 257 and the usable range is not really long, unless you include varmints, then yes.But a 20 x will usually work, and a high quality 18x would be better than a low 20x

I like at least 5X on the low end of the power range for close in and low light situations. Most of my scopes are 5x20 and 4.5x14 power range plus plus or minus a bit.

Roy......For chit-chat sake of course.

I hear the new generation Weaver Ultra-Slam is quite an optic. I mounted an old out of manufacture Weaver Grand Slam on the bosses Ruger No.1 300 Wby Magnum and I was suprised at the clarity of the scope when sighting it in at 100 yards at the range....

I was also dismayed at the punishing recoil. Sort of like getting punched in the shoulder with every shot. A definite Lead Sled gun....

Now if Tasco comes along, all will be good.:D

I've ordered a Vortex 4.5-14x50 LRT FFP in Mil Dot for one of my rifles, a definite deviation from my usual Leupolds.... and less expensive. I've come to trust Leupy glass so we shall see if I can have a relationship with Vortex glass.

Seems as all the tactical side focus scopes are all tanks, weight wise, this one no exception at 22 ounces or just shy of 2 pounds or a box of granola bars.....

I'd like to have an S&B but I need a new car too....... Choices are tough.

Age (being an old fart) lessens the ability to lug around needless weight (not including that area above my belt.....:))( It's not much, just a tad.....).

I try to stay as light as possible and that includes optics and rings.

Nothing worse than a day of trudging and a night of agony.....

All in the name of fun.

You get too big on the objective and you'll have issues with mounting as far as the objective clearing the barrell one reason Leupy went to the V recess on the objective (not that I've ever tried one), I think they look...odd.

They look like someone used them as an implement for training new tech's....I could never own one! Which brings me to tradition. I tend to do what I've always done, even after technology, and my aging physical characteristics have evolved. Too many mornings eating my emergency rations for brunch.
I look through the 1-4x Leupold 30mm European on my 375, and wonder where were you, when my mobility, eyesight, and reflexes, could spend all day crawling the deep timber, and thickets, where 50 yards was LRH!
I'm still processing variable scopes are now available in multiples other than 3.
My last scope purchase 2.5-8x Mark 4 is an indication I still consider myself a medium range hunter. My partner shares the 4.5-14x view, but being a 1 gun guy, wishes the entire whitetail season for more bottom end on the scope. The rifle I consider my long range gun has the 3.5-10x Mark 4. Barring further improvements in technology, it will probably wear the 3-15 Premier Light Tactical at some point, as when I find the one I like the 3.5-10x will go on a target/tactical/heavy sporter 308.
Just more chit!

Last edited:

They look like someone used them as an implement for training new tech's....I could never own one! Which brings me to tradition. I tend to do what I've always done, even after technology, and my aging physical characteristics have evolved. Too many mornings eating my emergency rations for brunch.
I look through the 1-4x Leupold 30mm European on my 375, and wonder where were you, when my mobility, eyesight, and reflexes, could spend all day crawling the deep timber, and thickets, where 50 yards was LRH!
I'm still processing variable scopes are now available in multiples other than 3.
My last scope purchase 2.5-8x Mark 4 is an indication I still consider myself a medium range hunter. My partner shares the 4.5-14x view, but being a 1 gun guy, wishes the entire whitetail season for more bottom end on the scope. The rifle I consider my long
range gun has the 3.5-10x Mark 4. Barring further improvements in technology, it will probably wear the 3-15 Premier Light Tactical at some point, as when I find the one I like the 3.5-10x will go on a target/tactical/heavy sporter 308.
Just more chit!

My first 20 years of hunting were done with Leupold fixed power 4x scopes. This included my 375 H&H I used for my African hunting. Rarely shot past 300-400 yards. Never found myself at a disadvantage and today, they
remain some of the best balanced and fastest handling rifles I own. For the past 10 years or so my rifles fall into two categories. My 1000 yard long range rigs have 5x20
or 4.5x14 scopes with turrets and 50mm objectives. My med range rig for extensive carriy and tighter hunting areas carries a Nightforce 2.5x10 scope. 34mm objective, with the velocity Reticle. It's light, fast, compact, and on my model 70, 270 WSM Supergrade produces consistent 3-4" groups out to 600 yards. Low light capability of this scope is excellent, particularly at 3x with the lighted Reticle. I'm also fortunate
that the velocity Reticle matches my load exactly, at 10x with the 200 yard zero in my hunting areas.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.