Scopes, what's the clearest 5-25 power?

Khales k525i, swaro X5i, minox zp5 all crystal clear, no CA, great turrets, swaro is SFP is only downfall. Why don't Swaro come out with a lightweight 6x erector ffp scope with good moa reticle/low profile turrets and just crush everything else already........just saying.

I have been an avid proponent of SFP scopes for LRH applications, but I must admit that my viewpoint has been shifting as I have been experimenting with my FFP scopes(used for PRS/competition) over the past couple of years. There are a few reasons for change of opinion. NOT ALL FFP SCOPES ARE CRETED EQUAL. The balance between the reticle weighting, magnification range, and reticle style can make a substantial difference in the usability of a particular scope for hunting. With this optimized balance, the ability to quickly vary power to not only locate the game animal, but visibly choose a magnification level that appears optimum for a sight picture And observing shot placement without altering substension for windage holds is a very attractive and usable capability, at least in my LRH experiences. Unfortunately, the cost is high for many if the FFP scopes that not only have this level of sight picture balance built into the scope but also possess a level of glass and mechanical quality, and illumination tuning that adds to the capability. In addition to cost, these scopes have generally been quite large and heavy. It appears that offering are being brought to market that recognized the attributes, but also look to address the drawbacks, making them more compact, lighter, and affordable. The Nightforce NX8 appears to be one of these attempts. I personally don't think that the SFP scope is going away any time soon, but I do think more and more LR hunters will start to recognize the attributes of the FFP as products are optimized for use by hunters.IMO.

I have been an avid proponent of SFP scopes for LRH applications, but I must admit that my viewpoint has been shifting as I have been experimenting with my FFP scopes(used for PRS/competition) over the past couple of years. There are a few reasons for change of opinion. NOT ALL FFP SCOPES ARE CRETED EQUAL. The balance between the reticle weighting, magnification range, and reticle style can make a substantial difference in the usability of a particular scope for hunting. With this optimized balance, the ability to quickly vary power to not only locate the game animal, but visibly choose a magnification level that appears optimum for a sight picture And observing shot placement without altering substension for windage holds is a very attractive and usable capability, at least in my LRH experiences. Unfortunately, the cost is high for many if the FFP scopes that not only have this level of sight picture balance built into the scope but also possess a level of glass and mechanical quality, and illumination tuning that adds to the capability. In addition to cost, these scopes have generally been quite large and heavy. It appears that offering are being brought to market that recognized the attributes, but also look to address the drawbacks, making them more compact, lighter, and affordable. The Nightforce NX8 appears to be one of these attempts. I personally don't think that the SFP scope is going away any time soon, but I do think more and more LR hunters will start to recognize the attributes of the FFP as products are optimized for use by hunters.IMO.
The nx8 was an attempt, but it fails in some areas, DOF, parallax, very dark in last 20% mag, edge distortion. I think they could have done a 6x erector and cleaned it up a lot. I have one a shoot it regularly and I like it as a hunting optic where you have a little time to set parallax and focus, get lined up. Where in a comp setting going between steel from 400-800y you would be f'n with it constantly.

As more of a reader than poster. I have really enjoyed all the different points on this topic. I can offer no point of view in the clearest scope but hope to purchase one of these this coming year.
Thank you for your insight.

I have a US Optics B-25 and a Nightforce ATACR and it would be hard to get me to change! Big..Heavy..and they Work every time!
The atacr is good glass, tracks accurately, very robust, nice turrets and reliable zero stop. It is however a LOW manufactured scope, assembled and qc here in the US. I think they're overpriced for Asian components, but that's my opinion. I will not speak down of their reliability and function, as they are a solid option.

The atacr is good glass, tracks accurately, very robust, nice turrets and reliable zero stop. It is however a LOW manufactured scope, assembled and qc here in the US. I think they're overpriced for Asian components, but that's my opinion. I will not speak down of their reliability and function, as they are a solid option.

THIS is going to be fun....;)

I have had several scope manufacturer reps tell me that FFP scopes are by design, more robust than SFP scopes. Much lower failure rate.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.