Scopes, what's the clearest 5-25 power?

If money was no object look at all the heavy hitters. My only expereince with good glass has been the vortex AMG, Kahles, and SB. In my opinion, the AMG was the clearest and sharpest glass, but at that price point it was splitting hairs between the three. Its hard for me to tell honestly. Just when I sat down behind my buddies AMG I remember saying holy crap, thats how impressed I was.

Looking for input here, if money was no object, what 5x25 scope would you put on your rifle. I'm a Nightforce guy but can't get both focus and parallax set perfectly with any of my NXS scopes. I've spent hours on this. I can get close with my ATACR 7x35 but still not perfect. I've went through Nightforce's procedure to set these. Are there any scopes that can achieve perfect focus and parallax and are crystal clear? Thanks

I had a similar issue until I went back to the eye doctor and got my prescription checked for my contacts. The focus is based on 20-20 to my understanding.

I had a similar issue until I went back to the eye doctor and got my prescription checked for my contacts. The focus is based on 20-20 to my understanding.
Just wait till you need multifocal contacts. Then things get really weird. Old age ain't everything its cracked up to be......

I have looked through a lot of nice glass. I believe when it comes to the really good stuff, your individual eyes will have preferences for whatever reason. Two that really impress MY eyes are the March FX D40 and the Kahles 525. How robust they are? I have no idea but they are sharp, perfect on parallax and easy to focus. I can resolve stuff at the target that I never though was possible. They are easily better than the ATACR line to MY eyes. (I have never looked through a 7-35)

I know several guys that say the Minox is the clearest. I suspect that each of these is great in this catagory but the TT is likely great in EVERY catagory!

So much of the differences between scope glass of equivalent price levels is due to:
-> the choice of coatings (assuming fully multi-coated lenses)
-> the compromises made to get features like a shorter scope, a bigger objective, etc.
EX. my Bushnell LRTS 4.5 - 18 x 44 scope ia 14" long - kinda longish for a hunting scope. But... that length means fewer lenses in the objective area (ahead of the erector tube lens group) because shorter scopes, all else being equal, require more bending of light thus more lenses, thus more chance for loss of optical clarity.

Also larger objective lenses themselves require more bending of light and, again, more lenses IF designed correctly.

Eric B.

Last edited:
Looking for input here, if money was no object, what 5x25 scope would you put on your rifle. I'm a Nightforce guy but can't get both focus and parallax set perfectly with any of my NXS scopes. I've spent hours on this. I can get close with my ATACR 7x35 but still not perfect. I've went through Nightforce's procedure to set these. Are there any scopes that can achieve perfect focus and parallax and are crystal clear? Thanks
Did you follow the manual on setting the parallax? I'm not going to go find my manual right now, but a couple of us had issues with the 7-35 also.
A call to a NF tech gave us this,
Get a white background, 25 ft, that is 8 yards.
Power at max.
Adjust eyepiece for darkest, clearest reticle, background will be a total blur. Lock it down.
After we did this all our issues went away. My scope was not as bad as my friends concerning parallax, and I was fine to 1600 yards and got hits consistently, but at 1850, my floating crosshair(MOAR) looked like it was doing the Charleston Shuffle. It settled down and I am happy.

On making a choice of clearest glass, all our eyes differ, and I have never been behind a Hensoldt, TT, or ZCO optic, but most of the rest mentioned and I can say, every scope has that one condition, may be overcast, hazy, mirage, too bright out that has one questioning why you paid that much for it.
Maybe you do need the top tier glass, but like an above poster alluded to, I tend to buy glass as a total package, glass, repeatability, hold zero, etc... And getting to shoot a prospect scope is a big plus, if that option is available to you.

My Marchs do this. I think Lance is most likely correct but most if not all those are above my weight limit. It is pretty early to tell but I am really liking the NX8 4-32.
I've read several of you reviews and really enjoy what you have to say about the things you've tested. I just bought a Seekins PH2 in 28 Nosler and also the Seekins rings. I,m looking at the NXS8 4X32 to mount on it. It will be used for hunting and possibly some long range matches in the future. I'd really appreciate your input on the one you are using. Thanks, Jeff.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.