What is the advantage of low power scopes?

Why would anyone buy the 3-18x50 scope? Do you really need a magnification lower than 5?
Are we talking strictly about extremely long range hunting or hunting in general? Low power scopes have the advantage of being able to acquire target quickly. For normal hunting situations 5x is way too high. Some consider 3x high as well. If you are hunting moose or bears in thick terrain, you don't want anything higher than 1.5x on the low end and 1x is desired.

It all depends on YOUR hunting situation. For big game hunts under 150 yards, a good 1-4x24 will certainly be a better choice than a 3-18x50, not to mention 5-30x50. Under 600 yards a high quality 12x is more than enough for medium size game. If you can't make a 400 yard shot on deer with a quality 3-9x40, I don't think a larger scope will increase your odds. Varmint hunting, now that's another story of course.

Most importantly, pick quality over magnification. A high resolution lens at low power will enable you to make a longer shot than poor resolution scope no matter how high the power is.

Depends on your skill set. The lower power in general is easier to acquire target. I shot alot of whitetail, jump and shoot running w/ 6x. One of my best shots was a mallard lifting of a pond and I pulled hammmer back on a 4x Marlin , no bullet, levered one in and shot the duck. I repeated this on a few grouse. When I was younger I SHOT ALL THE TIME. I shot bb gun at cans thrown buy myself, as I READ IN ''Shooting" by Jack o'Conner.Throw the gun to your shoulder 1000's of times and power means less. Back in the day when I SHOULDER CARRIED, I flipped rifle up from waist in a f orward 180 as taught to me by my pistol coach, grab grip and rotate stock to shoulder. Now I USE SAFARI SLING and rifle is at ready position, I have no problem getting on target fast on 4x.

One of my best shots was a mallard lifting of a pond and I pulled hammmer back on a 4x Marlin , no bullet, levered one in and shot the duck.
MT = Montana? I'm all for shooting ducks and geese with a rifle but I don't do it in the US because of some silly Federal "issues"... :D

MT = Montana? I'm all for shooting ducks and geese with a rifle but I don't do it in the US because of some silly Federal "issues"... :D

I recon we have to take the good with the bad. The plus side....those laws will likely leave us someday as the only society in the world left with the right to own guns, and a little game left to hunt.

Guess that's like me with a semi-auto in the tractor (and a pistol in a holster on my side ((usually).....

It's all about when and where more than what and why......

I recon we have to take the good with the bad. The plus side....those laws will likely leave us someday as the only society in the world left with the right to own guns, and a little game left to hunt.
While I don't agree with being left as the only society with the right to own guns, I do agree we have to take the good with the bad. I was just trying to give sp6x6 a friendly hint, in case he was unaware.

No person shall take migratory game birds:

• With a trap, snare, net, rifle, pistol, swivel gun, shotgun larger than 10 gauge, punt gun, battery gun, machine gun, fishhook, poison, drug, explosive or stupefying substance.

I have also seen this broken many times, it seems like many people don't know:

Using records or tapes of migratory bird calls or sounds, or electronically amplified imitations of bird calls.

Sorry for the OT.

Yes , aware, that was in my farmkid highschool days:)My son scored 100 in hunter ed and has worked as a volunteer FISH AND GAME helper. A few of my friends and I where in local club small bore, and just did alot of 22 shooting.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.