Scopes, what's the clearest 5-25 power?

My new Minox zp5 has blown me away, worth a look IMO

Also, take care that your diopter is set correctly. It's common for people to think they did this and it's not perfect, or barely even consider it at all.

Yep. Read the sticky thread on the Snipers Hide Rifle Scopes forum on setting diopter.
A lot more detail than in the Nightforce owners manual.

The NF owners manual doesn't seem to fully detail the procedure.

Also, take care that your diopter is set correctly. It's common for people to think they did this and it's not perfect, or barely even consider it at all.

Agree. I received a new scope and the side parallax adjustment numbers (50 yds, 100 yds, etc.) were way off and it was blurry at certain magnifications. Adjusted the diopter and everything was peachy there after.

Last edited:
So far the best I've used/ owned is my 5-25X56 Minox ZP5. The glass paired with the amazing depth of field makes this scope astonishing and the best I've ever used. With the 2 I have, there is a slight difference in turrets, but the glass is steller. No noticeable CA or distortion on the edges. The reticle remains crisp as does the target.

I think a lot of it has to do with finding the scope that works with your eyes. I know one gentleman on here said have your eyes checked by Doc., this may be an issue, but being a guy that has to have eye glasses I know it can be finding the right scope for you. Optics are just like eye glasses they have to match your eyes or they are not going to work right. I like Leupold and Vortex the best but have had good Bushnell and Simmons, on the latter two you can see a difference in their very low end scopes and the better ones. I have not looked at the high end scopes even from Leupold and Vortex as they are out of my price range. So I look at scopes in my range and go with the one that I can see the best with. There are a lot of other brands that are very good scopes and some people with tell you if you don't buy that brand you are not getting the best scope, that may be true form them but not for some others. For an example I had people telling me to get a Nikon (witch are very good), but I found Weaver, Vortex, and Leupold to be better for me. Just remember others are being very helpful and there recommendations are good to look at but compare and pick the one that works best for you, it may take some time looking at as many as you can to find the one that fits you and the task you want it for. Be patient so you pick the right one. Good luck and have fun.

If you want actual 5-25:
1. Tangent Theta
2. Premier Heritage
3. S&B PMII

If you can change mag range parameters just a touch:
1. Tangent Theta
2. Zero Compromise Optic 5-27×56
3. Premier Heritage
4. Hensoldt ZF 3.5-26×56
5. S&B PMII

This^^^^. Tangent Theta is hands down #1.

I think a lot of it has to do with finding the scope that works with your eyes. I know one gentleman on here said have your eyes checked by Doc., this may be an issue, but being a guy that has to have eye glasses I know it can be finding the right scope for you. Optics are just like eye glasses they have to match your eyes or they are not going to work right. I like Leupold and Vortex the best but have had good Bushnell and Simmons, on the latter two you can see a difference in their very low end scopes and the better ones. I have not looked at the high end scopes even from Leupold and Vortex as they are out of my price range. So I look at scopes in my range and go with the one that I can see the best with. There are a lot of other brands that are very good scopes and some people with tell you if you don't buy that brand you are not getting the best scope, that may be true form them but not for some others. For an example I had people telling me to get a Nikon (witch are very good), but I found Weaver, Vortex, and Leupold to be better for me. Just remember others are being very helpful and there recommendations are good to look at but compare and pick the one that works best for you, it may take some time looking at as many as you can to find the one that fits you and the task you want it for. Be patient so you pick the right one. Good luck and have fun.
Ya, my eyes after about 18" are perfect,20/20, anything closer I need my reading glasses. With the NXS scopes, I'm not the only one with that problem and if you read one of my other posts, there are a few responses that say that they have the same problem with NF. I have installed many NF scopes for clients and the ones I shoot with regularly have the same issue in varying degrees, but NONE of us have perfect clarity and correct parallax.

For rifle scope clarity at any power, I'd have to say it's my "older" Nighforce 5.5-22x56mm NXS its tops in my book. The only glass I've owned over the years that really matches up to it was Leupold original M1 10X Ultra scopes and M2 6X Ultra which they haven't made in many, many years.

My Marchs do this. I think Lance is most likely correct but most if not all those are above my weight limit. It is pretty early to tell but I am really liking the NX8 4-32.

At what price point do you start to get to diminishing returns? How much difference is there once you spend $1500 and $4000+? I don't have $4000 in any of my guns, but I am not a competitive shooter or have the need for one....want is totally different!

Look closely the MARCH 3 - 25 x 50 with either FP or SFP, mil/mil or MOA/MOA
and lighted reticle option. This is top quality ED glass in every lens. March is at least equal to S&B in optical quality.

For about $1,000. less the new Nightforce NX8 2.5 - 20 x 50 is an excellent choice and very rugged. It's going on my 6.5 PRC X-Bolt Pro in about a year.

Eric B.

The Zeiss Conquest 5-25 HD is pretty awesome. Under $1200. I got one barely used for $500, what a steal. Buy any good scope used. If you have a problem send it back to most companies and they will fix or replace it for no charge.
I have a Burris Black Diamond 8 or 10 years old and it is superbright and clear. I have the Leupold VX-3 LRT and it is great, but the zeiss edges these out, noticeably. I usually bring 6 or 7 guns out for prairie dog shooting and that's where you can really tell what a scope can do. I am not familiar with the Tangent Theta or the Trijicons for scopes. I have Zeiss BGAT and Swaro EL Binos and those are unbelievable.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.