Fixed Power Scopes

I would want at least four inches of eye relief for the Weatherby.

And then some, maybe a scout scope!

A few days ago I was messing with my rifle that has this very scope mounted atop. I was playing with a load sending a 650 grain bullet at 1700 fps and shooting from the prone w/bipod and rear bag. The 10+ pound rifle with suppressor was recoiling hard enough to make the scope contact my safety glasses, not pleasant at all. I did a quick numbers check on an online recoil calculator and a .416 Weatherby has even more recoil. I have never been recoil sensitive but after about 20 rounds my eyes wouldn't focus properly.

IOR glass is great, some of the best around.

I had one about 5 years ago and have been tempted to buy another. Unfortunately the model I had (3-18x FFP) failed me multiple times through several generations of that model and so I keep talking myself out of it. But then again every Leupold MK4 I have owned (and several issued) has failed me at one point or another. I'm not particularly rough on my gear, especially if I pay for it. Leupold is quick to repair or replace, but it is still a big hassle. However, if something goes wrong with an IOR you are messing with a company that is in Europe with a representative in the US. Waiting on a replacement can really be a hassle when it might take weeks to months.
But on a more positive note, I seem to have the worst luck than about anybody you'll meet. So take my experiences with that in mind. Plus most of what you hear about either of those companies is positive, with most folks being pretty satisfied.
I got my first Nightforce a little while back and if it craps out then there no hope left for me!

As to the whelen... love my hawkeye in whelen... the only 77 I have and she shoots the 220 speer to 2700 fps using rl15 with sub moa from a 22" bbl. no sweat... the dang thing has a 3-9 burris on her though.. boo...

As to the fixed power scopes... I got away from them years back but am getting back into them as they are simpler and more bulletproof than their variable counterparts.. They are also often lighter, which makes a difference at times.

I've got two elite 3200 10x scopes on my 270's and a straight 6x monarch on my 375H@H...

I'm looking at replacing the 8-32x elite on my 7stw with a fixed x scope. I'm looking at the 25x fx3 leopold.... anyone using this scope?... will it take hunting the badlands on an 8# rifle in 7stw or should I drop to the 12x leopold??? or go elsewhere?? I don't want to go over $500 or so unless I have to here...

My order of best down would be:
1. Schmidt and Bender
2. Swarovski
3. Zeiss
At the very top there is little to tell them apart. Cost is high but less prohibitive than their variable range.
Fixed power scopes have gone out of fashion lately and few are listed on store websites now. Variables have become more affordable and easier to make with new computer aided tooling and cheap Asian labour.
That said I like the fixed powers on my deer and pig rifles and would not change them for variables.
Same here. I'm extreme enough to use low power scopes at long range too.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.