Fixed power scope ?

montana bob

I'm looking at purchasing another scope to be used strictly for target shooting. From 100 yards to 1000 yards. I've always had variable scopes but the price is pretty enticing for a fixed power. I realize you can't adjust power to compensate for heavy mirage but shooting is just for hobby not competition. I know I will get conflicting opinions but I would like some input.

I'm looking at purchasing another scope to be used strictly for target shooting. From 100 yards to 1000 yards. I've always had variable scopes but the price is pretty enticing for a fixed power. I realize you can't adjust power to compensate for heavy mirage but shooting is just for hobby not competition. I know I will get conflicting opinions but I would like some input.

I think that the M8x12 Leupold is about the best fixed power scope I have ever used.

It Is a target scope and has target turrets. The glass is great.

If you can find one ,look through it and you will see.

J E CUSTOM

J E Custom makes a good pitch for a great scope=Last I counted there are six 12x Leupolds (usually run $350 used depending on reticle and turrents) on doggin guns in the safe. They work great for small targets out to 500 yards or so but my old eyes dont do as well as they use to.
There are a couple of IOR 16x scopes on longer range units that cost roughly twice what the Leupolds run used but well worth it for me past 500 yards.With roughly 100moa of travel they come in handy when things aint as straight as they should be.
For $522 there is a 20x Sightron on the 338 Edge that has not been there long but so far its showing a lot of primise. This unit has 155 MOA of travel! Had it out today and 20x was not a problem but did have to turn down a couple of variable to 20x to see past the mirage.
The glass and field of view are a real plus on all of the fixed powers I've used.

I have actually been leaning towards the Sightrons. I owned a gun shop for a while and we sold some lower priced Sightrons. I would install them for customers and take them out to the range to zero them and I was amazed at how accurate the tracking was on them. I wanted at least at least 24 power and have been considering 36. In your opinion is 36 to much. I live in So Ga and we do have a lot of heat and the mirage is bad at times but I can be pretty selective as when to shoot.

Here in Wyoming 20x is about as high as I can go. I use to have a couple of NF br models in 8-32 and 12-42. I found that just like most other scopes anything past 20x has very limited use...Early morning or late evening and even then it was iffy if I could utilize the full power.
If you have time to pick your shooting time and conditions 36 would work but IMHO great glass @16-20x beats good glass @ 36x in about any condition.

I have a Mark4 10X I like a lot, no problems seeing smaller targets so far but I've only shot it out to 568 yards. I can't see why a 10 or 12 power wouldn't be fine for hunting out to at least 600 yards.

Agreed, 10x is enough for hunting out to 750 yards. My goto hunting rifle has a 3-9 on it, 3x for jump shooting and 9x out to 750 yards. BUT he is talking target shooting and for that I prefer all the magnifiction mirage will allow. Even with small targets like prairie dogs I prefer to keep under 500yards......I much prefer to aim at a spot on the dog rather than shooting center mass.
Aim small miss small:D

I think the choice of power selection really depends on what kind of target shooting, and the most frequent ranges you are planning to shoot. For Benchrest type shooting, and small target(eggs), under 600 yards, I like 32-36x. For more general target shooting, plates, rocks, slllouuettes, etc, out to 1000 yards, 20x would be a good compromise. If both spectrums were of interest, I might reconsider, and get a variable. IMHO.

BUT he is talking target shooting and for that I prefer all the magnifiction mirage will allow.

Don't know how I missed target shooting in the original post, I'm in absolute agreement! Actually I like all the magnification I can use in most situations.

Bob

You didn't say what kind of target shooting or what restrictions on style are imposed by competition rules, if any.. What's good for benchrest is not right for silhouette or matches with pop up targets at unknown ranges, or just for personal practice and enjoyment.

My favorite fixed power riflescope for over 25 years is the Leupold Mk IV M2 16x40 Mil dot. It's light weight, rugged, has a huge 140 MOA vertical adjustment not likely needed at only 1000 yards and the mil-dots are useful for holdoffs where time restricts knob twiddling.. It would not be my choice for benchrest but I have little interest in sitting my butt shooting at fixed distances.

In my opinion target shooting is any shooting that doesn't involve killing or destroying something. It doesn't have to be in formal competition.

I have a Mark4 10X I like a lot, no problems seeing smaller targets so far but I've only shot it out to 568 yards. I can't see why a 10 or 12 power wouldn't be fine for hunting out to at least 600 yards.

We are in the age of "Power" and in some cases more power can be a detriment.

The reason we tend to gravitate to variable scopes is so we can use the power that best suites
the situation.

As stated earlier, mirage can be a problem on the higher power unless you can read it well
and it doesen't distract you. with a variable scope you can crank it up to read the mirage
and then go down to a level that it doesent appear. The same thing with heart beat.

If you consider that 1000 to 2000 yard matches are held that require iron sites (NO SCOPES)
it is obvious that you can shoot long distances without big magnification.

If you are shooting long range targets under ideal conditions (Good rest/positions) more power
can be used . But if these conditions are not perfict(Like when hunting) less is sometimes more.

The very first match I shot as a young man was a 600 yard 20 shot target match. conditions
were not perfict and we had to hold the rifle with a sling(No Rest). everyone had high power
scopes up to 32 power, I had an old K 8 Weaver on my deer rifle and just wanted to see how
well I could do against target rifles with high power scopes.

I knew nothing about mirage and reading the wind, so all I did was to try not to shame myself
and shoot best I could. I can remember hearing those guys talk about all those things that
were affecting the bullet impact and they were continually changing there zero.

When the match finished and scores were counted, somehow I had won. The point is, that more
magnification can help if you can use it but sometimes it can hurt.

So, A 10 to 12 power scope will work very good if it has parallax adjustments and you are shooting
targets of known distances. More power may help you group but may not help the score.

There is a usable limit on power of a fixed power depending on conditions. For hunting the
variables have an edge because you can lower them down to the lowest power for running shots
and if a long shot presents it's self crank it up to the level needed.

I still have and use many fixed power scopes that are perfict for there intended use.

Sorry to ramble on ,just trying to clear up the question.

J E CUSTOM

JE is spot on.
I use fixed power scopes on three of 11 rifles(two others are blades) and I'll put them up against my high power variable scopes any day. Even my m700 lightweight in 375h@h is expected to do sub moa 3 shot groups at 100 yards with it's straight 6x Monarch. I've been trying to kill that scope on the 375 for a while; it won't die. Both of my 270's wear 10x elite 3200's.
I like the weight(lack thereof) and simplicity of fixed x scopes. You don't have anything to fiddle with when you pull up to put lights out, or the 10 ring or x on a target for that matter.
Plus the recticle on most fixed x scopes can be used as a range finder, you just have to figure out how much a certain portion of your recticle subtends at a given range and you are home free as long as you know the dimensions (especially top to bottom at the brisket)of your quarry. No figuring out wierd etch a sketch in the field of view to down a critter at more than pbr.

Well, after reading all the posts I have decided to stick with variable. I actually ordered it today. I want the capability to zoom if needed. I was trying to save a few dollars by going fixed. My original thought was to mount it on one of LR guns and just shoot LR target with it. I have a friend who has different silhouettes and targets out to about 975 yards. My eyes are not as good as they used to be and I have not given in to the fact I could probably use a set of specs. My funds are sort of limited so I have to switch scopes every now and then. I appreciate all the input and I realize different things fit different folks better. If you're wondering what I decided on it is the Sightron SIII 6x24x50 with the MOA2 reticle. I owned a gun shop for a while and sold Sightrons when they first came out. I would install them and take them out and sight them in for my customers. I was amazed on how accurate they tracked. Everything I've read about the SIII's glass has been very positive. Thanks again for all the input.

I totally agree. A fixed 10X is easily enough to 1000 yards.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.