Fixed power scope

chain

I've been working on my .300 win getting ready to go west. I have been thinking about putting a fixed power scope on it maybe a 6X Leupold. Does this limit me here in Mi(too much power ) or am I OK? I think 6X is enough for the ranges I will shoot, I am worried it might be too much here at home in the woods. Thanks Chain

my first post one this board. thanks for having me. i just purchased a fixed 4x power redfield its on a .308 ruger m77mkII shots out to 300 yards are no problem. have a 6x on my .243win and it was a little much when a deer poped up at 20 yrds couldnt fined him. at 300 4 inch groups will kill any thing you need to kill.

Chain. Why not a variable? If you were hunting the same terrain at the same ranges then fixed would be fine but where you are going to be shooting moving game in the woods and open ranges with a .300 I would think a variable would be a better choice.

And BTW if all you are going to shoot is inside 300 yards then a .300 is a waste of gunpowder. You have the potential for much more than that and with the human nature being what it is, that is always striving for more, a variable may be a good investment now in planning for the future. (600-800 yarders /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif)

Gregory. Welcome.

[ QUOTE ]
at 300 4 inch groups will kill any thing you need to kill

[/ QUOTE ]

Think big. If a four inch group is fine at 300 yards just think of how good a 4 inch group is at 600.

At first, I was going to get a variable maybe a Zeiss Conquest, but I was thinking of keeping it simple. I have all variables now and I've always worried about different impact at different power. Does this make any sense? Chain

Perfect sence but if you buy a zeiss conquest and your group shifts at different powers then you have bad mounts. Quality scopes should not (won't) shift when adjusting from power to power.

I would just hate to see you sell yourself short with that .300. It can be such a versatile gun it would be a shame to limit yourself with a long range OR a short range fixed power. And even worse would be to try to split the difference with a power that dosen't do either well.

Try this if you just have to buy a 6x fixed. Put it on something in the .243-.308 range gun and see how you like it and take the variable off whatever gun you picked and put it on the .300 for the time being. Try it for a year and then swap them if you want. If all you are doing is <300 yard shots the .243-.308 will handle that. If you come west for some shots over 300 the .300 will be ready for the distance.

Just my humble opinion. But I'm not the one paying your bills. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.