fixed power

southsask

so I am getting a new rifle in 25-06 .

I have owned several variable power scopes and always seem to leave them at one power all the time, I am set on getting a fixed power and have been looking at the S&B klassik series, specifically the 6x42 and 7x50.

I will be shooting deer and coyotes from 50 to 350+ (with enough practise) and would like to try sniping some gophers as far as possible.

NOT looking for people to tell me how much better variables are.

wondering what everyones opinion for zoom power was and if anyone had any experience with these scopes or other fixed powered in the same price range.

Thank you for any information it is highly appreciated.

I have used fixed power scopes quite a bit and find the 6X42 FX3 my favorite. I only have used the leupold FX2 and FX3 6X scopes so can only coment on them. I find the fixed power scopes are brighter in low light when compared to variable scopes, wieght much less, and in my eyes produce a clearer image. I also find them very durable and adjustments are always spot on.

I had a friend tell me he really liked his as well and for less than 1/2 the price I think it is definitely worth checking out hopefully I can get him to come out to the farm sometime soon. thanks for the reply and the info

oh and how far do you consider too long for that magnification, with a mpbr of 300 yards would like to be able to take advantage of the 06, whack some coyotes at 400 yards with some practise

For strictly hunting a fixed power 4-8 depending on your hunting style works well and I did that for years. Where you will mumble is when working up a load. Working at 200 yards plus and you can't see the target well enough to hold the same place each time so the groups suck. Being able to hold exactly the same each shot is critical when trying to evaluate a new load and should be done at 200 yards or farther.

Hard question to answer everybody is different on what magnification they feel is ok to engage a target. You get to make that call thru your own experience. But I will share a few things my son started out with a '06 and 6X leupold FX2 since he was 12 Ive watched him kill forked horn deer at 50 yards in very low light and six point bulls at 300 hes almost 20 now and infantrymen in the army he still uses that trusty old '06 with the 6X and has never asked for anything else. His sister on the other hand just has to have more and uses a 300wsm with a 3-9. Funny thing is last year I watched her make a awsome shot at 275 yards and kill her first 5 point bull. One shot threw the trees into his neck after it was over I checked her scope it was on 6X. I know this isnt " long range" but I just thought I would share.

problem with them, at least in the domesticaly made scopes is there few and far between and cost as much as a variable if not more. Im sure its because they dont sell many anymore and have to recoup there tooling costs. I thought seriously about putting a 6x leupold on a new 257 roberts i picked up last year but found the 2x7 cost about 75 bucks less.

I've got a straight 6x nikon monarch on my 375 h@h and a pair of 10x Bushnell elite 3200's (the one with the turrets) on my 270 win's. They'll all run with my variables accuracy wise with sub moa expected of all. The one (tikka) 270 is expected to be sub 1/2 moa with good ammo. 100 or 200 yards for all. I also run a leopold m8 4x eer on my 22-250 pistol for prarie dog hunting and she's good to 1/4 mile on prarie rats.

For strictly hunting a fixed power 4-8 depending on your hunting style works well and I did that for years. Where you will mumble is when working up a load. Working at 200 yards plus and you can't see the target well enough to hold the same place each time so the groups suck. Being able to hold exactly the same each shot is critical when trying to evaluate a new load and should be done at 200 yards or farther.

I have found that the targets that frame the crosshairs of the scope are very effective for group testing at 200 yards. I have been able to get much tighter groups using them when load testing at 200 yards using lower power scopes.

I have found that the targets that frame the crosshairs of the scope are very effective for group testing at 200 yards. I have been able to get much tighter groups using them when load testing at 200 yards using lower power scopes.
Either that or the smallest target you can bisect with your crosshairs. With my higher mag scopes I'll shoot a 1" dot at 200 yards; with the smaller scopes I'll often use a 2" diamond.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.