bright fixed power scopes

Riflehunter1776

I've been reading that in europe, hunters cannot use night vision/thermal scopes, but rather use big fixed power (brighter because they have fewer lenses to diffuse light) scopes - most commonly the 8x56 - to hunt fox or boar from a stand at night. So it got me to wondering how bright these things really are.

Has anyone ever compared any of the various brands like the Meopta R2, the S&B klassik, the Swaro, or other similar ones in 8x56? not the variable scopes in those brands, but specifically the "nighttime" 8x56's. If so, what were your impressions.

I already have fixed zeiss, meopta, and leupolds in 6x and would not consider any of them to be "wow" bright, although the old zeiss was pretty good and the meopro is okay.

I had a 8x56 Ziess Jenna in the late 80's At that time I had not shot a better scope in low light. It was the heavy 3 post with the point on the vertical. If you had the lense tech of today in that optic I would guess the same result. I shoot a 6x42 on my muzzle loader. It's a now 20 yr lupy and still quite bright. The 5x20 swfa I bought is brighter and the 4x14shv is as well.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.