What is everyone favorite caliber for deer?

270 has always been the drt choice for me, but a wrecked neck makes even the 270 painful. I use a 6.5 grendel now, but have not put it to the test yet. I also have a 6.5 creed that's waiting for a chance to prove it's worth. I'm so picky these days about what I pull the trigger on, who knows when either one will get tested.

My all time favorite will be the 6.5x47L and 123gr AMAX but right now the 22 Dasher with an 80.5gr Berger has been my go too. It hammers whitetails

Joe S

Nice to see all these replies and different calibers. Always interested to see what others use to hunt with. I tend to try something and move one. Built a 6.5 PRC and just couldn't really get to where I liked it so went back to my creed. Just did some trading so hopefully this year I will be trying a 300 WSM for rifle season. To date I have used the following to take game with:
243, 270, 7mm08, 3006, 6.5 Creed, 6.5 PRC, 7mm Mag, 30/30 and that may be it. I started hunting when I was 14 and I am now 38.

My favorites are 6.5x55, 7mm-08 and .280 Depending on hunting location and/or weather conditions dictates which one I will use on a given day but I have 100% confidence in all of them. Their power level seems just right to me for deer sized game without feeling over or under gunned. I like medium weight cup and core bullets (129 grain, 140 grain and 154 grain loads respectively) for a good balance or performance and penetration.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.