What is everyone favorite caliber for deer?

It's more the gun for me than the cartridge, but I love my marlin 308 express. I have a soft spot for lever guns and that stainless steel with gray laminate wood makes for a beautiful gun. It's also effective as I have never had a deer take a step after being hit.

I was and always will be a 270 win fan. However the last few years I bought into the 6.5 Creed hype and have used one on several hogs, deer, mule deer, antelope and elk. I have to say it works as long as you do your job.

Thinking of building another 270 win though as it is my favorite.

Man this thread will get a lot of replies.
Personally I use 6.5 calibers but planning on using a suppressed Fieldcraft 243 this year with 95 grain partitions. Just get all W-t thinking about it.

Hard to say. I have a Rem 700 sporter in 270 win. Not very accurate 1.5 MOA plus but it is reasonably light. I have a custom built 270 win 26: barrel with a 1-8 twist. It spits a 170 Berger out at 2,930 fps. A little more recoil than a standard 270 win 150 gr load. but it is worth the performance to me. If you want a lighter recoil rifle I have several AR's in 308 Win and 260 Rem. The 260 Rems recoils is substantially less than the 270 win but while it shoots 130 pretty flat it does not come near the performance of the 270 Win. For me shooting 100 to 300 yds and standard 270 win with a 150 gr load is just the do it all gun.

For me, it has to do with what I am hunting. For longer ranges on elk, I use either my 300 zrum or my 6.5 PRC. They both weigh in pretty heavy. For deer at medium ranges, zI would take either the 6.5 or my 30-06. Taken a lot of animals with all of them

I'm with Trebark -

I love my 7mm-08, I always will have one, and when my little fellow is old enough to shoot center fire, that's where I will start him. But...

The little bit more that comes in the .280 Rem makes it, to me, the best hunting rifle out there for non-dangerous game. Actually, I would be willing to take it out hunting anything in North American, with the possible exception of Polar Bears. It's the zip of the .270 with the umph of the 30-06.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.