What is everyone favorite caliber for deer?

260 Remington Sense 1997 w/ 140 Grain Berger VLDs Hand loads. Deer, Elk, Hog, Moose, Bear, Yots, it moves it will drop it

280Ackley, for deer. While I also have 7-08, .270 Win., 7mm Rem Mag and .300 Win Mag, I like the 280 best. It started out as a 30-06 Savage 110C that shot pretty decent .75-1" groups and then I rebarreled it and it turned into a tack driver.

Up here in the Wolverine, my go to caliber for deer is 460 Smith and Wesson in a 5 shot XVR wheelgun. East to load for, drops them now and easy to carry in the woods too plus, it'e legal in restricted zones (south of M46) and it holds a nice group out to 100 yards, plenty of distance up here in the woods. 46 grains of Lil Gun in Starline brass with a 240 grain FMJHP, Hornady flavor and a heavy crimp. Better wear serious eat protection however, it's insanely loud.

I was and always will be a 270 win fan. However the last few years I bought into the 6.5 Creed hype and have used one on several hogs, deer, mule deer, antelope and elk. I have to say it works as long as you do your job.

Thinking of building another 270 win though as it is my favorite.
.257 Weatherby. My rifle is a Model 56 Cooper.

I will repeat what's already been said a few times - anything legal 6mm and above can do the job.

My favorite is whatever I have the most confidence in personally. Right now:

1. 270win - I love mine and I don't even consider the possibility of missing with my 270. The only problem that I have is now one of my son's have decided that it is his favorite as well so #2 is getting more work these days.
2. (tie) 270bee and 7mmRM - both of mine are more accurate than me and so I'm sure that the more I shoot them at the range and the more DRT deer they take, they will inspire similar confidence. The 'bee will be new this year (purchased because I found it unacceptable that I might not be allowed to shoot a 270) but it is a very accurate laser beam.
3. 6.5CM - I got mine in the Barrett Fieldcraft. For most of the hunting that I do in Texas, I prefer my middle weight guns above - again, I'm just more confident with an 8-10# rifle than I am with a 6-7#er.

Mostly target shot my 25. Not gonna shoot deer at 650 yds but can hit 8 in circle with those nosler 100 gr ballistic tips .never tried any flat base bullets

I have shot deer with 6.5-06, 270, 280AI, and 7mmRM.

The deer don't seem to be able to tell the difference.

I don't seem to be able to tell the difference.

I have also shot them with 6mmBR, 257 Roberts Ackley, 25-06, and 300 Win mag.... I could tell the difference.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.