What is everyone favorite caliber for deer?

That's easy !! 270 win , 130 Grain , loaded to about 3000 FPS out of my Weatherby Ultralight Rifle ! Leupold 4.5 x to 14 x on a 30mm Main Tube !! Really Excellent on Deer !!!! As I am 72 , I Fell Confident Out to 300 Yards with that Set up !!! I do own 30 06 and 308 Rifles , and I like Them , but fir deer on Farms , no Question for Me !!

270wsm is my all time favourite also own A 35wsm which is great on the bigger deer we have (Sambar) but the 270wsm is just an awesome cal which I'm planning on setting up for a 900yard rig

Any deer I've taken with a 6mm has always been a DRT and has been my personal favorite for deer. That said I've also used 308, 7-08, 30-06 as well with great results. There's a thread I started awhile back, bigger is better fact or theory. Should check that out, lots of good info from everyone. Reason I started it is because I have personally had many deer run after being hit with good shots from the other 3 calibers listed after the 6mm. They all died yes but I don't much like trying to follow blood trails into swamps or thicker than thick brush, I'd rather the deer DRT.

I love my 95' A Bolt 7mm. For the past few decades it has never failed me on long range accuracy and terminal ballistics on Mule Deer and Elk.

Attachments

• IMG_2098.JPG
    IMG_2098.JPG
    136.3 KB · Views: 133
So many good calibers here! I've used a 243, 30/06 (sold it as the REM 700 BDL stock just knocked my fillings loose) and bought a Model 70 Featherweight in 280 REM. I've used that ever since for deer and hogs. 140 gr Ballistic tips for Blacktails and 140 Accubonds or Partitions for mulies and hogs. Currently having a 280 AI built and will use the Featherweight for brushy conditions (short barrel). Been eyeing a 264 Win Mag...just because.

Been shooting a 6.5 since 1964. Has never failed me . Elk to deer, just different bullet. High BC for flat shooting , fast retained time of flight ,mild recoil, high SD for deep penetration. What's not to like?
Depends on the type of deer and where I am although I seem to always fall back on my 25-06. That caliber and the 110 AB is a match hard to beat,

The first criterion is an accurate rifle shooting a deep-penetrating bullet,
the second is a bore size from .243 to .338,
and the third is enough powder capacity to make 400 yard shots relatively flat and easy.
Shhh! - Don't tell that to all the ones that fell to my 223,or the ones that my 35 whelen will clobber this year! Lol -- but I pretty much agree with what your saying.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.