What Improvements Needed For Advancement of ELR Shooting?

THEIS

Hello,
As the title states...What improvements are needed for the advancement of ELR shooting?

Anything you think..from propellant, cartridge design, projectile design, weapons design, barrel designs, optics design, optic mounting designs, ballistic software designs, support equipment (ANY or ALL of it), better scientific understanding of reading environmental conditions, better scientific understanding of predicting environmental conditions, etc etc etc.

Thank you,
THEIS

That's a broad question that is going to have a thousand answers. I think propellant is a big issue at the moment. People have these ideas but can't push the projectile to the fullest because of powders.

New level of ballistic software that gives actual dope from start to extreme end of flight for ELR candidate cartridges through radar reading vs theoretical and would cover the subsonic transition and time in subsonic.

I know there are LIDAR devices available to dope the wind for you. But, where's the fun in that. I want a device that will let me see the wind.

Cheers,

Hello,

The new LIDAR/Doppler combo units can sort of "show" you the wind via electronic topography map.
Torey Pines Logic is trying to get the error margin on their Venom LX LIDAR wind detection system down to under 1 mph since as of right now it is 2 mph. Other than that it is a great system. Really like that it can detect, read and show predictions from 6km out from aerostat unit.

Relatively inexpensive acoustic radar units are one of the best ways to make your own "Proven" data ballistics program.

Subsonic is more of a projectile design issue than ballistic program issue IMO though. That is where the advancement in propellant, projectiles and case designs come in.

THEIS

You also need parameters for measuring the advancement of the sport.
Meaningful rules of engagement and for lack of a better word "scoring".
1 hit out of 200 rounds fired?
3 out of 10?
3 out of 3?
1 shot coldbore?

All the super large capacity rifles are going to be harder to shoot accurately. You can advance the rifle, but you still need rifle/shooter combination and a way of calculating the results in a meaningful way.

Hello,
Very true Hoffer, BUT there is one monumental problem with that IMO.....
That problem is there is not an organization/association/whatever you want to call it that does NOT have their own agenda.
There would need to be an International Organization set up to where it has absolutely no affiliation with a firearms manufacturer, barrel manufacturer, bullet manufacturer, stock manufacturer, optics manufacturer, rangefinder manufacturer, etc etc..so that it is completely unbiased and nothing more than a Governing and Sanctioning Body.
Until that happens you will continue to see shooters doing they own thing and purposely avoid events that are controlled and run by entities or individuals with their own agendas.

THEIS

Independent governing bodies may start without an agenda, but always turn into political organizations. So the end result will be the same. Even a semi-biased startup like ELR Central is still better than nothing. Someone has to birth an ELR format and rules. The rules can and will change over time. No one gets it right the first time. So if we start now we are closer to the next revision.

Independent governing bodies may start without an agenda, but always turn into political organizations. So the end result will be the same. Even a semi-biased startup like ELR Central is still better than nothing. Someone has to birth an ELR format and rules. The rules can and will change over time. No one gets it right the first time. So if we start now we are closer to the next revision.

IMHO, ELR Central is just a marketing vehicle for AB and nothing else. It's part of their strategy to sell thin air. The more people come in, the more they sell. Simple as that. What we need is a 100% independent organization, and if AB just wants to catch up with proposals, no problem, but anything commercial-bound is prone to fail. Not everybody out there is lured after AB "magic" which is non-existent to start with though I recognize their good marketing efforts.

All the super large capacity rifles are going to be harder to shoot accurately. You can advance the rifle, but you still need rifle/shooter combination and a way of calculating
I lot of the time for me, the bigger calibers are "easier". Fatigue is a different issue.

There would need to be an International Organization set up to where it has absolutely no affiliation with a firearms manufacturer, barrel manufacturer, bullet manufacturer, stock manufacturer, optics manufacturer, rangefinder manufacturer, etc etc.
USRA - Unlimited Range Shooters Association.

It's only purpose is to advance "long range" shooting.

IMHO, ELR Central is just a marketing vehicle for AB and nothing else. It's part of their strategy to sell thin air. The more people come in, the more they sell. Simple as that. What we need is a 100% independent organization, and if AB just wants to catch up with proposals, no problem, but anything commercial-bound is prone to fail. Not everybody out there is lured after AB "magic" which is non-existent to start with though I recognize their good marketing efforts.

I was very disappointed when the ELRC "site" was just a tab on the AB site.
Only images are of AB people. Should of had a mix of shooters non AB related.
They showed their hand on that one.

USRA - Unlimited Range Shooters Association.
It's only purpose is to advance "long range" shooting.

URSA is my favorite

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.