What do you think of the 6.5 WBY RPM ?

The Weatherby 6.5 RPM is a BIG cartridge pushing a very aerodynamic bullet.
SHOOTING TIMES published these case capacity comparisons:
6.5 Creedmoor-> 54.0 gr.
6.5 284 -> 67
6.5 PRC-> 68.8
6.5 Wby. RPM-> 82.5
.264 Win. Mag.-> 87.8
26 Nosler-> 100.8
6.5/300 Wby.-> 101.1

So think of a 6.5 Wby. RPM as a "magnum 6.5 PRC" (which is often called a "magnum 6.5 Creedmoor")
The 6.5 RPM is not as ridiculously big as the .26 Nosler or the 6.5/300 Wby. Weatherby developed it to utilize thier
Mark V action/bolt face. That's why the 6.5 RPM has a rebated cartridge base to fit that "non-magnum bolt face. And with their titanium action they have a light (and expensive) mountain rifle called the Mark V Backcountry Rifle. But you can get it in a steel action as well without the 2nd mortgage a Ti action would necessitate.

Personally for western big game including bull elk (to 300 yards) I'm fine with my 6.5 PRC in 143 gr. Hornady ELD-X
from my Browning X-Bolt Pro mountain rifle. For brown bear and polar bear I would want something in 35 to 38 caliber INCLUDING .338 Norma or Lapua magnum.

Eric B.

Folks, over time I've kinda scratched my head as to why Weatherby didn't put the 6.5mm bullet on top of the .240 WM case, good or bad idea in your mind? The reality is that it would be a 6.5mm-06 in performance which is a very nice cartridge on its own.

Folks, over time I've kinda scratched my head as to why Weatherby didn't put the 6.5mm bullet on top of the .240 WM case, good or bad idea in your mind? The reality is that it would be a 6.5mm-06 in performance which is a very nice cartridge on its own.
6.5-257 would be my choice but their brand is speed I guess is why they haven't

Yeah I realize and is a better option but I meant I'd take the 6.5-257 over a 6.5-240 or 6.5-300. I hope the 6.5rpm becomes successful actually cause I'm interested in one or maybe a 7-6.5rpm
The weatherby load data released shows little to no gain over the 6.5 prc or saum which are both of 10 or more less grains capacity. So my theory is the Hornady brass is soft. I was hoping it would be of higher standards similar to the Hornady brand 6.5/300 prc variants.

Guys, according to YouTube replies I got from Weatherby it was about making a magnum 6.5 cartridge that would fit the bolt face of their existing Mark V action. That bolt is narrow and light and they wanted a light mountain rifle.
Given that the 6.5 RPM makes sense, manageable recoil but very high velocities & energy.

This move, coupled with their move to Sheridan, Wyoming, and using a "standard" straight comb and carbon fiber stock shows the new direction of Weatherby is "not your grandfather's Weatherby". Also no Weatherby style radiused neck and shoulder angles on the new cartridge.

Eric B.

Last edited:
I think it's a good cartridge for a build if you have a std. bolt face long action laying around as it will be faster than a PRC loaded to the same pressures.

I think it's a good cartridge for a build if you have a std. bolt face long action laying around as it will be faster than a PRC loaded to the same pressures.
I have winny pre64 mod70's and remmy 700's, standard and mag bolt faces, 2 proof sendro lite barrels .264, 8tw just try to figure out what im going to buil?