What do you guys think of this???????

When I qualified for the 1k line at my range years ago I watched a lot of fellas get failed for missing a 2moa dot @ 100 cold bore without a sighter, like over half of the class. Many were 3+ inches off.

Same thing happened at the 600 line on a 2moa plate.

Everyone was happy and shooting the stuff drinking coffee before it started, you'd think they were all pro shooters. I'd bet you could cut what passed in half again if they had to shoot from uncomfortable positions.

People think they are way better shooters than they are if they don't shoot enough to realize it.

Real ranges and situations are humbling. Hunted a big ranch in college and we'd set up courses to shoot from 0 to 600, didn't take long to get rusty. Burnt a barrel in 300wsm that year practicing field position shooting, was amazed how fast the rust showed up.

It's easy to pick on Fly by Night Long Range guys, but it covers the gamut of shooting sports. But all disciplines have the capacity to trip over their toes when the opportunity to put up or shut up comes around.

We really try to imitate our hunting shots post season mid week, off a bench or prone at a range doesn't give the same as improvised in the field with tall grass or wet ground.

My self imposed limit has decreased significantly with component shortages and lack of consistent practice. Some times it's hard to be honest with the mirror. Practice, effective solid real world practice has no equal.

yeah, the whole Marine thing is just click bait entertainment. Dude was probably motor T, and touched his rifle for grass and qual, which that qual tends to give that false sense of confidence. 500m on a green Ivan is different than a water jug. A water jug is like 10.5x4 inches. Qualification is like a 40 inch tall target.

I've hovered over enough new shooters to know when a dude scopes himself and/or herself, they are fairly new…or outside their depth.

However, I promise, it can be done. I don't know about what world class shooters he's hung out with but we do stuff like this all the time. Just in PRS. If bringing the marine corps back into it, Scout sniper school has pass/fail unknown distance as well. Well beyond 600.

Last edited:
It seems as though the shooter was struggling quite a bit with range here. I have found that ranging can be one of the more challenging aspects of long range hunting/shooting. Hunting antelope in flat stubble field has had me cussing at the rangefinder more than once! A large bull elk in the mountains is typically easier to range than a small target over flat terrain, and being off by 10-20 yards can mean a wounded animal or a miss once the distance is stretched out. There is nothing better than practicing to learn our limits. It can be very humbling.

He's using match ammo. If he was using "hunting ammo," he would have fared much better for a "hunting" challenge. 😂

Great video, great challenge. Thanks for sharing @bluedog69. Mike the Marine was indeed a good sport.

Backfire pointed out a couple of things I was thinking as well. Brake and rear support would have helped. When I started shooting with brakes, my life got way easier. Soon I'll be shooting suppressed and I think that will be great too.

I did learn something that I knew already…but I suppose I've been lazy to adapt and master. Those fancy reticles we have on our fancy scopes can range targets. This would have come in handy for the target hiding in the brush. I'll admit I would have done the same as Mike in that situation. Perhaps it's time I get good with the reticle too.

While Backfire says a tripod is the way to go…I'll disagree for big game hunting. I'm not packing that thing around. Probably great for coyote hunting. Trekking poles that double as shooting sticks will help get you off the ground. Plus, provide a solid platform for your rangefinder.

I'd like to see more shots requiring more up or downhill shooting in the challenge.
That's something I face often in the steep ground of western MT. It certainly can be an added challenge.

I'll be the first to admit I've missed animals out in field. It sucks, but better than a crappy hit I suppose.

Would like to see the content creator take his own challenge, dude talks a big game.

A few weeks ago he was hanging out with Erik Cortina in Texas. Cortina had loaned Jim & his son a custom rifle to shoot deer & pigs on his ranch. Gave them the wrong ammo, cost Jim's son a deer. Better yet the rifle didn't explode in his face & they laughed it off like it was no big deal. Next day they go out to the range on Erik's ranch & he is tutoring Jim's son on his shooting skills. Mind you the boy is shooting one of Erik's custom bench rest guns. Kid hits 1 or 2 shots at 500 yards & then starts missing because neither Erik or the dad are giving him any windage calls. My point to all of this is people think because they buy expensive gear or hang out with people who are skilled at shooting long range are certified long range shooters.

In regards to the "Marine" who took this challenge, he wanted his 15 minutes of fame knowing that he was going to get it no matter what. Showed up with a rifle he clearly couldn't handle & has zero business shooting at game past a few hundred yards. Getting scoped on the 1st shot is hilarious!

"I could hit 100% of those target to 1000 yards in high wind, with rain and fog, looking straight into the sunset", said me NEVER.

NOW, to 600 yards, 100% for sure. NOT

I would find it very interesting to repeat that challenge myself but I am very aware I would not have great results. I don't think in my prime I would have done great but I am curious how I would fair.

Would like to see the content creator take his own challenge, dude talks a big game.

A few weeks ago he was hanging out with Erik Cortina in Texas. Cortina had loaned Jim & his son a custom rifle to shoot deer & pigs on his ranch. Gave them the wrong ammo, cost Jim's son a deer. Better yet the rifle didn't explode in his face & they laughed it off like it was no big deal. Next day they go out to the range on Erik's ranch & he is tutoring Jim's son on his shooting skills. Mind you the boy is shooting one of Erik's custom bench rest guns. Kid hits 1 or 2 shots at 500 yards & then starts missing because neither Erik or the dad are giving him any windage calls. My point to all of this is people think because they buy expensive gear or hang out with people who are skilled at shooting long range are certified long range shooters.

In regards to the "Marine" who took this challenge, he wanted his 15 minutes of fame knowing that he was going to get it no matter what. Showed up with a rifle he clearly couldn't handle & has zero business shooting at game past a few hundred yards. Getting scoped on the 1st shot is hilarious!
Not a fan of this channel for that very reason. Almost every video has a subtle undertone of superiority from a dude who has never proven anything that I'm aware of.

Cortina's channel is great.

Recent Posts