What do you guys think of this???????

My wife challenged me on this just after watching. She set soda bottles and milk jugs and 5 qt oil bottles at random distances out to 600ish yards, 5-9mph winds from the west, I shot my most accurate hunting rifle and the one that I'm very confident with.Prone, no bag.
End result: I missed the milk jug at 542yds.
Humble pie it was.

BTW… 100 shots in a row with anything but a light recoiling Rifle would wear anybody out. Especially having a look through a scope that long.
Agreed. High recoil, no rear bag, poor ranging conditions, and a pencil barrel that feels the heat after a single shot. I would expect that most experienced long range hunters would be more/better equipped for the task at hand…

It seems as though the shooter was struggling quite a bit with range here. I have found that ranging can be one of the more challenging aspects of long range hunting/shooting. Hunting antelope in flat stubble field has had me cussing at the rangefinder more than once! A large bull elk in the mountains is typically easier to range than a small target over flat terrain, and being off by 10-20 yards can mean a wounded animal or a miss once the distance is stretched out. There is nothing better than practicing to learn our limits. It can be very humbling.
^^^^ This times 10. Getting the distance right is critical. When I watched the video it reminded me that knowing how to use your reticle and a simple math formula to calculate the distance to the target is critical. Don't get me wrong a range finder is handy. But in instances where the range finder is unable to give a definitive distance, using the reticle to calculate the range to the target as confirmation is essential. It also reinforces how subtle changes in the wind or topography can affect your shot. I have tried shooting out to 500 and 600 in 20 mph gusts to plus 30 full-value wind conditions. Boy was that humbling. For now, I will not shoot at critters at those distances in those wind conditions. Kudos to Backfire for putting this content out there and kudos to the guy who was willing to be filmed. Boy, that 300 win mag was beating him up! I cant' image shooting a lightweight 300 win mag 100 times in one day! I hope to heck he keeps going with this series or something similar.

Yes no different than your buddy at Backfire.
Difference is, Hornady writes Jim a check for promoting their product. I promote it because these calibers flat out work & are more efficient than the predecessors! We can agree to disagree, no need to make this personal. Should you want to continue this banter, feel free to drop me your thoughts with a PM. 😎🤙🇺🇸

Difference is, Hornady writes Jim a check for promoting their product. I promote it because these calibers flat out work & are more efficient than the predecessors! We can agree to disagree, no need to make this personal. Should you want to continue this banter, feel free to drop me your thoughts with a PM. 😎🤙🇺🇸
These are your opinions and nothing more. This is not banter and I take nothing personal from strangers on the internet haha. I'm just comically stating that what you said about marketing and business endeavors is nothing different than hornday PRCs. Hornady paying Backfire to promote is proof. Like @Kiowa Cowboy said, kudos to both the parties.
😎🤙🇺🇸

These are your opinions and nothing more. This is not banter and I take nothing personal from strangers on the internet haha. I'm just comically stating that what you said about marketing and business endeavors is nothing different than hornday PRCs. Hornady paying Backfire to promote is proof. Like @Kiowa Cowboy said, kudos to both the parties.
😎🤙🇺🇸
Actions speak louder than words, my opinions are based on facts. Not emotion or feelings….just calling it the way it is!

Interesting video. My first clue on how this would turn out was his zero check at 100 - not a great 3 shot group.

I shoot daily when I am at my CO house. Pretty sure I could hit a milk jug out to 600 90% of the time as long as the wind is not blowing hard. But 100 shots in one day is more than I would be interested in shooting and not realistic - only the first shot in a given situation is realistic because after that you get feedback from misses. The guy's first miss due to wind (I think 400 or so yards) showed mirage moving left; not sure if he shaded for that or not. He didn't appear to use his parallax to isolate the mirage; in fact, not sure how he estimated the wind. But wind is not a huge factor (unless it's howling) out to 600, but past that it becomes a real challenge - your group size is getting bigger, wind deflection is increasing exponentially, and TOF is getting longer. You can't extrapolate hits at one distance and say, "Gee, that would have been a hit at twice the distance."

I am a big fan of Bryan Litz's WEZ concept. Not all bullets travel in a perfectly straight line; at 1000 yards, you can hit a 10"x10" target 100% of the time if you have a 1/2 MOA rifle, range it properly, hold perfectly, have no wind, and hold for spin. Do it 100 times and some of your bullets are going to be 2.5" inches left or right of center. That represents your allowable wind error in order to have a 100% hit rate. I don't know of a hunting cartridge on the planet that doesn't drift at least 2.5" in a 1 mph wind at 1000 yards. With a 300 Berger .338 (I shoot that bullet a lot at 910 and 1047), you need to estimate the wind within 1/2 mph 100% of the time in order for you to hit 100% of time. Even if you could do this, the wind cannot change during the TOF, which is 1.2 seconds. So suppose you can shoot within 1 second of your wind call - doable with a wind caller - the wind cannot change during that 2.2 seconds. I posted a while ago about an experiment I did in CO - I held my Kestrel in the wind and recorded on my iPhone, then played it back one frame at a time. I recorded the wind speed at each frame, then calculated how much it changed. IIRC, the wind averaged 6 mph. I don't recall the exact numbers, but it showed that even a perfect wind call would be thrown off simply due to the wind change during the TOF. Granted, where it changed during the TOF would matter a great deal.

As for competition (PRS, F class, etc.) sure some guys might hit every target. Someone posted on thread I made about F class percent of shots hitting the MOA ring at 1 MOA ring that in almost every match, someone puts all 20 into that 10" ring at 1000 yards. True, but no one does it every time at every match that I am aware of. Take a large enough group of great shooters, and someone is going to perform remarkably well, just like some stock pickers beat the S&P 500. But do they do that at every single match?

At some point, math and physics make it impossible to hit a given sized target at a given range 100% of the time.

Last edited:
Backfire is a Marketing platform, otherwise know as a business endeavor to make $$$!
The creator is/was a successful attorney/lawyer who got fed up with the daily grind behind a desk. Majority of his content is biased & opinion based. He panders to the big manufacturers in the industry & promotes products that speak to the masses. Anyone who considers his platform to be worthy of anything ground breaking should have their heads checked. Jim is not qualified in the Long Range anything sphere, his antics are neither entertaining nor funny.

We live in a clown world where anyone with an iPhone can produce content without any factual basis & people buy it up. Was listening to a podcast yesterday about a 20 year old kid who is making $750k a month producing content where he goes around antagonizing random people in the street until those folks respond aggressively only to have the body guards step in to diffuse the situation. Let that sink in & we wonder why the majority of todays youth is troubled!?!?!
Thats the way ALL businesses in a free society work. Pick whatever gun, scope, trigger, you like and the companies that make those all produce content that is "biased and opinion based". Chevy vs Ford. As far as, "his antics are neither entertaining nor funny", is this an opinion based statement?

Yes we do live in a clown world. A world where clowns can make a living if they can get people to watch. I am glad we do! Freedom rules! Here are two other videos that will show the type of stuff I have watched on youtube some of it is funny sometimes, some of it is dumb(my opinion). Some of it shows the awe inspiring America we live in. When I made this post I just wondered what people thought about shooting jugs out to 600.

Love him or hate him....... Whistlin Diesel....

THIS VIDEO IS AN AWESOME SHOW OF WHAT YOU CAN BECOME IN AMERICA...EVEN AN EX-CON...

Oh my. This went a lot worse than I thought it would.
Dartman and the Neighbor and I am sure a lot of you on here could probably do just a shade better.

I think the biggest factor in this, after knowing your rifle and how it shoots, is the range finding factor. Anybody that has had any experience with range finders knows that they can be very finicky ranging on certain objects.

Thats the way ALL businesses in a free society work. Pick whatever gun, scope, trigger, you like and the companies that make those all produce content that is "biased and opinion based". Chevy vs Ford. As far as, "his antics are neither entertaining nor funny", is this an opinion based statement?

Yes we do live in a clown world. A world where clowns can make a living if they can get people to watch. I am glad we do! Freedom rules! Here are two other videos that will show the type of stuff I have watched on youtube some of it is funny sometimes, some of it is dumb(my opinion). Some of it shows the awe inspiring America we live in. When I made this post I just wondered what people thought about shooting jugs out to 600.

Love him or hate him....... Whistlin Diesel....

THIS VIDEO IS AN AWESOME SHOW OF WHAT YOU CAN BECOME IN AMERICA...EVEN AN EX-CON...

B-I-N-G-O