What do you guys think?

Also, have a look at XLR Industries. I know some guys that use these with great results.

I'm sure there are others.

They're all just variants of the AICS chassis.

-- richard

I really like this type of stock, but the weight has kept me from buying. I really like this stock with the carbon fiber, especially the 2.5 lbs. If they could fit a Suregon 591, I would get one for my 7 SUAM. The adjustability of the stock will be perfect for my wife. Thanks for posting, I didn't know about this company before.

I decided to email the company with a couple of questions. I will pass on what they tell me.

I'm seriously looking at purchasing one of these. What do you guys think?

www.alpinegunworks.com
I think it's a hell of a lot of money to spend on something that looks cool as hell at the range but that you'd find to be an incredibly uncomfortable and unpleasant rig to haul around in the field in practical hunting scenarios.

Cool is great but if you are going to do any serious walking/stalking etc a much more traditional stock/chasis system will serve you a lot better in the field.

I didn't notice the weight before.

I'd have to handle one before passing final judgement. I hated AR's before I bought one for my son, and they certainly have their uses.

The price probably isn't bad if this is the stock you gotta have and considering carbon fiber and all that.

If I stumble into a pile of money, I'd love to build a 6br repeater with one of these.

For long range though, I prefer the stability of a heavier rifle. Then again, I don't do a lot of walking.

-- richard

Yeah I hear ya, but I am used to putting a rifle in my backpack and getting to where I want to hunt then pulling it out. I use an eberlestock pack so I can shoulder my rifle anytime without taking my pack off. I like the ability to shorten the rifle and reduce its center of mass. One thing that can be tough is to put a pack on with a long rifle in it, also the stock is always in the trees. When the buttstock is mounted to the side of the rifle it doubles as a handle. Everything is captive and there are dual locking mechanisms. The stock comes off and mounts to the side in seconds and is totally solid in both positions. I was pretty impressed with it when I recently saw it at a local gun range. The fact that its lighter allows me to put more weight into a barrel. Also I have a few long range hand cannons and admire its versatility.

I was looking at weights and looks like:

ACIS 5.6 lbs

XLR 4 to 5 lbs

Alpine Gunworks 2.5 lbs

I have a Manners MCS-T3 and its 3 lbs not including the bottom metal for the detachable box magazine. Plus the gunsmithing involved to fit it all.

I guess it has a purpose, but not for me. If ugly was a inche that gun would be a MILE, Just saying:D. I've seen nicer looking colapsible stocks. But hey if you like it your the guy shooting it.

Gene

I still really like the design and the look, especially after the video. IMO, if you are having to carry the rifle any distance (even with an E-stock pack) every ounce you can save will pay off in the end. I would rather pay a couple hundred extra dollars to have a stock that's adjustable to fit me exactly how I like and save a few pounds. Ounces = Pounds and Pounds = Pain. Especially with a couple herinated discs. As to the recoil with a lighter rifle, I plan on shooting with a suppressor or at least a brake.

Yeah I know he mentioned they were working on a hydraulic shock option in the buttstock. I admire the modularity of the design.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.