What contour for 26" '06?

25 Otter

Hey gang. I'm going Sunday evening to spec out a build with my gunsmith. I'm thinking mid weight on a M700 in 30/06. I'd like to land at or just below 8# in a B&C medalist Ti or HS sporter stock. At 26",what contour barrel, most likely fluted would you all recommend?

Just from what I've read mind you, the Light Palma seems to be popular. I myself like long barrels, but I've used the Shilen #2 on a 30-06 Mountain Rifle and it was nice. I have a #2 on my 6.5 Creedmoor at 26", very handy. What twist are you going with and what are you using this rifle for?

My .30-06 AI has a 26" Remington sendero/varmint contour barrel on it. Shoots like a dream. With the way I have that rifle rigged, it's right around 10 lbs, and the scope has a BDC reticle that allows for around 800 yards without touching the dial, so it is still very packable for long hikes, and accurate for quick long shots, as long as you know your reticle/load and have your rangefinder handy.

The rifle sits in a B&C Medalist Classic stock with the barrel channel opened up to accept the varmint contour barrel, and has a super lightweight Kahles Helia KX scope and lightweight DNZ 1-piece mount. You get the best of both worlds. You get a light enough rifle to pack, but the heavy 26" barrel for LR performance and accuracy.

I'm looking to put this rig together for Whitetails, Mule Deer and Pronghorn mainly. I don't want to go full blown LR. More of a walking / packing rig,with some reach out and touch em built into it. I'm figuring 10" twist. 168 to 180 gr Ballistic tips and A-Bonds. I've been reading some good things about the 155 gr Scenar too.

I'm looking to put this rig together for Whitetails, Mule Deer and Pronghorn mainly. I don't want to go full blown LR. More of a walking / packing rig,with some reach out and touch em built into it. I'm figuring 10" twist. 168 to 180 gr Ballistic tips and A-Bonds. I've been reading some good things about the 155 gr Scenar too.

You will inevitably have long range capabilities esp w/ a 26" premium tube on a trued action.

You won't make 8lbs w/ a palma of any sort. Your barrel weight will be limited to about 3lbs. I don't know your stock weight but lets just say 2.5 + 2.5 action plus components roughly. You're looking at a sporter weight barrel here. There are few ways to trim weight.

1. Shorter barrel
2. Ultra light stock
3. Ultra light stock + adl config.
4. Fluting, but weight savings will depend on barrel contour.

EDIT.... your HS sporter stock weighs about 2.7lbs.

Yeah,the 8# mark will be tough to hit. I was hoping to be in at 9 to 9 1/4# with a Leupold and some Talleys.

Yeah,the 8# mark will be tough to hit. I was hoping to be in at 9 to 9 1/4# with a Leupold and some Talleys.

What I would do is go w/ a hi-tech, manners eh, b&c mountain, or mcmillan edge stock and a bartlein 3b or #3 barrel or similar contour. This should put you on target w/ your weight.

Just to give you an idea... I have an htg edge fill on a 24" light varmint CBI barrel savage blind magazine 280 that is identical to the weight you want with egw base and seekins rings. I believe that barrel weighs in at 3.5lbs.

I had a rifle built 3 or 4 years ago. Thinking along the same lines as now. I screwed up big time. Bought a #5 Shilen for it. The rig was a long action 284 Win. Finished at 24" the whole thing went 10.5 all up with a 6X-18X Leupold. My fault completely. I ordered the barrel. That #3 Bartlein looks pretty good for dimension and weight.

I just had a #3 Bartlien put on my Rem. It's clambered for 25-06 and is 25 inch long. With the factory wood classic stock, (No Cheek piece) action and barrel bedded, cheap 6-18 power scope and leather sling, comes in at a tad under 11 pounds empty. The bartliens run one size bigger than the rest, the #3 I have would be close if not a tad bigger than most others #4

Just curious what brought you to the 30-06? bc your mentioned bullet selection seems a 280 would be better suiting better sd and bc. And since you already have a 284, if you have bushing dies, no new bushings needed and could cross play w/ bullets.

But back to your build, I would personally opt for 24" barrel on an adl ultra light stock. You shouldn't have any mag length issues w/ the 30-06 and the bullets you want to shoot. You won't lose much velocity, will gain some stiffness, and will still have 1000yd on paper capable gun.. whether you like it or not hahaha.

W/ my generic guestimates of 2850fps w/ 180 accubond you can knock deer down out to about 800yds @ 5000ft. Thats long range in my book.

I had a rifle built 3 or 4 years ago. Thinking along the same lines as now. I screwed up big time. Bought a #5 Shilen for it. The rig was a long action 284 Win. Finished at 24" the whole thing went 10.5 all up with a 6X-18X Leupold. My fault completely. I ordered the barrel. That #3 Bartlein looks pretty good for dimension and weight.

I had a #3 Bartlein finished 26" and fluted put on Win 70 action chamber for 30-06 in a McMillian sporter stock with 3.5x10 leupold scope and rifle weight is just little over 9 1/4lbs. It's good packing rifle. It has 1/11.25r twist.

Hope you still have your 284 also have one on long action.

Well good luck

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts