What contour for 26" '06?

"Hope you still have your 284 also have one on long action."

Well, you see this fella came into my coop, (I have a separate building for my hunting related goodies)and just had to have it. So,off to a new home she went.

Tom; That sounds like a great combo at 9 1/4# and 26". What did you load in her for bullets @ 1/11.25"

ohiohunter; I've been an 06 nut since the late 70s. .25 or .30. Lots of bullets and powder on hand along with a supply of new Norma brass to utilize. In all honesty,if my donor was of the mag bolt face variety, I'd do a 7 Rem mag. I considered a PT&G body swap. On the other hand,I still love a good 06. Quite the quandary.

I am a little concerned about stiffness. The barrel that is,lol. If I could do up a little stiffer pipe,fluted,and make the weight I want I'll be a happy camper.

Well, you see this fella came into my coop, (I have a separate building for my hunting related goodies)and just had to have it. So,off to a new home she went.

Tom; That sounds like a great combo at 9 1/4# and 26". What did you load in her for bullets @ 1/11.25"

ohiohunter; I've been an 06 nut since the late 70s. .25 or .30. Lots of bullets and powder on hand along with a supply of new Norma brass to utilize. In all honesty,if my donor was of the mag bolt face variety, I'd do a 7 Rem mag. I considered a PT&G body swap. On the other hand,I still love a good 06. Quite the quandary.

I am a little concerned about stiffness. The barrel that is,lol. If I could do up a little stiffer pipe,fluted,and make the weight I want I'll be a happy camper.

25 Otter, It's a hunting rifle and not something I plan using for volume shooting and it's build the way I wanted not like you want.

Knowing what little I do about fluting, I'd save the $ fluting and get a McM edge stock. Unless you want to do both. There hasn't been any mention of budget. I think if you go w/ bart 3b or 4 fluted 24" it should weigh in pretty close to the next size lower. The thicker the contour the more weight loss, the thinner barrels will be less significant.

25 Otter, It's a hunting rifle and not something I plan using for volume shooting and it's build the way I wanted not like you want.

The man gives you a compliment and this is your response?

Knowing what little I do about fluting, I'd save the $ fluting and get a McM edge stock. Unless you want to do both. There hasn't been any mention of budget. I think if you go w/ bart 3b or 4 fluted 24" it should weigh in pretty close to the next size lower. The thicker the contour the more weight loss, the thinner barrels will be less significant.

The man gives you a compliment and this is your response?

It would of been lot better had he made only one post to me about my rifle. Answering you in the same post which included fluting etc. is in bad taste.

end of subject

Originally Posted by ohiohunter

Makes sense to me. The Micky Edge would be sweet. Probably out of the budget though. Between Wyoming this year,Eastern Montana next year,and Colorado the year after,I'm license poor. Tags,travel,and p-points keep going up too. I'm not complaining mind you,just in need of another job,lol.

I may very well have to itemize the whole build out,and do some picking and choosing. If the fluting compares to the difference in stock prices,I may do a McMillan. As long as it doesn't tend to be muzzle heavy.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.