What is the lightest contour for both flutes and 5/8"-24 muzzle brake threads at 26"?

7mm

Brux #3 make it or should I order a #4 or #5 and send it off for flutes and contouring?

Thanks Darryle

I don't think any of those would work for 5/8-24 threads. I bet you would have to go up to a Brux 6 (5.5, if they offered it). The Brux 3 is smaller than the Bartlein 3 that I just had threaded 9/16-24 at 24". I think the Bartlein 3 is about like a Brux 4 and there isn't a huge shoulder with the 9/16 threading.

Bartlein 3B works well for me at 26 inch threaded 5/8x24. That is The smallest contour I will go at 24/26inch for suppression. Each manufacturer is a little different on their size though. Anything else I have 26 inch length threaded 5/8x24 is sendero and fluted.

Last edited:
5/8"x24 is 0.625" major and the Brux #3 is only 0.630" @ 26". That's a no go for me.

If this is for a brake and not ever for hanging a suppressor you could do a #4 @0.670" but for me personally I would go #5 @ 0.700" for a good shoulder and then spiral fluted it to cut the extra weight. They match up to Bartleins #3 & #3b respectively. Could also have the 0.050" turned off the breech shoulder and it would equal the Bartleins 1.20"

If you want to hang a suppressor I think the smallest shoulder diameter is 0.100" (0.050" shoulder) over thread major diameter.0.625"+0.100"= 0.725". You want that long suppressor to have a good shoulder height to keep that suppressor aligned to the bore as things get hot.

If it's for a suppressor look at the Brux #16 Light Palma. It's 4.5lb but 30" long and 0.750" @ 30" muzzle. The next size up sporter profile is #6 heavy bull 0.750" @ 27" and the same weight 4.5lb as Light Palma. Cut 4" off the light Palma it's lighter than the #6 @ 26" and the muzzle is a few thou larger. Heavy spiral fluted and you will be about a #4 in weight maybe just under. This gives a nice shoulder to support the suppressor.

Last edited:
I am sorry, should have mentioned. I and the girlfriend are already deaf, me from age and her from deployment to the middle east, so no suppressor, just a brake hanging off the end.

I thought about a #5 and sending it to Kampfeld's for his wrought iron fluting, that would definitely cut off the majority of the weight. Just not sure how well I would like the wrought iron treatment. I couldn't find any really good pictures of one.

I am wanting to build a lightweight 280 Ackley to get rid of the Mossberg Patriot 7mm-08 that the girlfriend so loves. It's accurate enough for her, but the issues with the magazine are driving me crazy. The design of the stock and "bottom metal" makes it difficult to bed and it has a Muddy Girl stock that she won't let me replace with one from Boyd's.

I figure I can load it down to 7mm-08 levels and mirror the weight and save on multiple component costs. I have an extra Tenacity long action since I changed my mind and went with another Anti on one of the new builds.

If you are just going to use a brake you can literally do about any contour. They will just thread it 1/2x28. You could also look into a 284 win. So go with whatever feels right😉

Well, I had never looked at the Light Palma contour until now, this gives me a new perspective. The #16 is very close in diameter as the #5 Bull Sporter at the "F" designated distance from the breech. I think that would be perfect if I can figure out how to get rid of the extra weight and thread it for a brake to help with recoil.

My cousin used a 5 brux on his 7mm at 26" did wrought iron fluting, and it's threaded with a can. It's a very accurate rifle.

I have a 24" #3 proof I sent to LRI in s.dakota....had the spiraled flutes cut...knocked off quite a bit of weight...
Shoots well.....

26" bartlein 3b is right on the ragged edge of not enough shoulder for 5/8-24. (9/16-24 is optimal)

In the past, for 5/8-24 we've cut them to 25.25'' and 25.5'' with the 3b's.

Well, I had never looked at the Light Palma contour until now, this gives me a new perspective. The #16 is very close in diameter as the #5 Bull Sporter at the "F" designated distance from the breech. I think that would be perfect if I can figure out how to get rid of the extra weight and thread it for a brake to help with recoil.
This is why I mentioned it. Some will looks past palma contours because of length and its overall weight. But when you look what you save cutting it down its actually a very good weight and contour, with enough mass for fluting. Another thing to be sure to look at for weight is the breech end full diameter length and taper. Diameter where the bore taper starts.

As an example I chose the Rem Varmint/Sendero contour to finish a 338 bore at 22" spiral flute for a light weight pack-n-hike/mountain gun. Most people see it as a overly heavy for a hunting profile. But it has a short full diameter breech 2" vs 2.75" @1.25". It's larger diameter to muzzle taper allows more weight to be removed for each inch removed. That larger diameter further allows deeper fluting to remove even more weight while the remaining full diameter has more rigidity than a thinner profile same fluting. Total rifle weight came in at 7⅓lb including mag under 9lb with scope.

With a 280AI looking at the Brux #16 L Palma contour and playing it out. Cut ½" off the breech just like a rem sendero/varmint breech contour. ½"L @1.25"D The cut 4" off finish muzzle length which is removing a section .750" > .774" in diameter. Those two things are taking a good hunk of weight. Running ⅝x24 thread will then leave you at 0.750 barrel diameter with 0.150" for shoulder diameter with 0.075" height. Make for a nice blended brake. I really like the Salmon River Solutions Ti Pro Brake (Rokslide sell them.) The Ti Pro 2 only weighs 1.3 oz is 0.860 diameter will make for a nice taper blend.

Then have it fluted some sort of spiral or helix flute. Here look on: Southern Precision Rifles BugHoles.com Fluting section. They have most every style fluting pattern.

Looks like Greg has a few Brux 7mm 8 tw contour #5 in stock

You could have him flute and chamber if you send him your action, as well as time and taper blend the brake. Then you have no shipping a long heavy barrel around. Unless you have a local smith to do all the work you trust.

With the #5 contour you could do the same shortening the breech and even turn it down to 1.20. The muzzle is .700. You would want the Ti Pro 1 brake then as its .760 and only 1 oz before tapering.

Anyways some ideas.

Do you happen to have any pictures or a weight complete?
1663640884137.png

That's the best I can do right now the only picture I have of it. This is a #5 brux 26" wrought iron fluted. Threaded 5/8