Muzzle brake threads?

gohring3006

I was wondering about turbulence or any other outside force upon a bullet exiting the muzzle, when a attached brake with a crush washer behind it, leaves some of the threads on a muzzle brake exposed. I have a barrel/brake combo that won't tighten all the way in, without the brake being out of time. So I thought, crush washer!!! Problem solved..... Until my brain started smoking, and I got to thinking about those exposed threads inside there that was caused by using the crush washer. What say you?
The gasses and bullet have to pass over these threads for about a 1/8" before it reaches the smooth "barrel part of the brake....

Ballisticly speaking, the end of the barrel should be one caliber from the first baffle to perform at it's best. Some brakes don't have any baffles so it is best to have the muzzle close to flush with the end of the barrel. if there is one or two threads exposed in the brake it is less than ideal, but it should not cause any problem with accuracy because the bullet is long gone before gas of any amount hits any part of the brake.

the biggest issue that effects accuracy is misalignment of the bore of the brake to the bore of the rifle. Crush washers can be a problem if they "crush" more on one side than the other cocking the brake what ever the threads will allow.

So If the brake is straight, the amount of exposed threads you have should not effect accuracy.

J E CUSTOM

Thank you Jerry,
I was hoping to hear from you.

I figured I was over think it, but I just never stop thinking about stuff like that.....
Thanks for all the help you have given me the last couple years...

The brake on my 300wm has about 1/4" of threads exposed on a "Howitzer" style brake.

I wanted the OD of the barrel contour to meet without a step in profile.
I have no complaints.

This 200 yard group is typical of this load.

Attachments

• 20150906_084024.jpg
    20150906_084024.jpg
    105.7 KB · Views: 76
The brake on my 300wm has about 1/4" of threads exposed on a "Howitzer" style brake.

I wanted the OD of the barrel contour to meet without a step in profile.
I have no complaints.

This 200 yard group is typical of this load.
Thanks, this is very good info....

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.