What cartridge?

I'm a big fan of the 30/06. Make plinker practice loads for it with 1/2 case of Buffalo Rifle (Trail Boss if you can afford it, the old 13 Red Dot works too) and whatever .308 junk bullets and primers you have laying around and develop a good full strength hunting load in the bullet weight you want to hunt with. I use factory 180 for hunting, they're crimped and they always go bang. If you do it right you can regulate your two loads to shoot in the same place at 50 yards. You don't feel recoil when you hunt anyway. The 30/06 is better than the .308 because you're got more room for your fingers in the magazine when it's cold and dark...that's my opinion, anyhow. I have a couple of old 03/A3 sporters with short barrels that have killed a lot of game. The most important part of the gun is the trigger, in my opinion. Practice from all positions, practice shooting quickly. Practice, practice, practice...

Last edited:
Unless you have a health issue, why worry about recoil with a hunting rifle? How many shots do you plan to take in a row. Maybe 5 to sight in once a year. Now if this is really just going to be a range rifle, I could see the reason for lower recoil.

I always like a KISS approach, especially with supplies getting harder to find and rising prices. I say anything in the standard 308 cartridge size (308,708,6.5,243,etc) that meets your need on barrel length powder burn efficiency. Since you reload, you can load down and use lighter bullets to lower recoil.

Wanting a 16.1 inch light bolt deer rifle. What is the most efficient caliber? 6 ARC? 8.6 Blackout, 6.5 Grendel or the ol standard 308.
Under 400 yards.
I hand load. Looking for easy carry light recoil.
I built a 6.5x47L, 16" "deer blind gun". No muzzle brake. 130 Hybrids @2600fps. KRG chassis. Very convenient to carry and move around. Light recoil. Accurate.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240222_060228_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20240222_060228_Gallery.jpg
    139.2 KB · Views: 37
Wanting a 16.1 inch light bolt deer rifle. What is the most efficient caliber? 6 ARC? 8.6 Blackout, 6.5 Grendel or the ol standard 308.
Under 400 yards.
I hand load. Looking for easy carry light recoil.
I like a good short rifle for that application myself. Before starting a new build, I always select a bullet and then build a rifle around it. I'd suggest something that would push a 130-150 gr. Bullet for deer. Keep trajectory in mind, because you don't want to be guessing a 300-400 yard shot with something that's coming in at a steep angle. My recommendation would be something to push a 130 gr. 6.5 mm. Bullet. Hope that helps 😁

So true, I looked at these years ago for the kids. Never bought as I simply downloaded 308 for them.
.277 GPC….its what the 6.8SPC should've been. It ticks off all your boxes and since you reload ammo is not a problem.

.277 GPC….its what the 6.8SPC should've been. It ticks off all your boxes and since you reload ammo is not a problem.
6.8spc is an intermediate cartridge.
.277gpc/277 fury/6.8x51 is a battle rifle cartridge. Different roles.

I'm not sure I'd consider 140gr at 80,000psi "light recoil." About 3x what the spc is.

6.8spc is an intermediate cartridge.
.277gpc/277 fury/6.8x51 is a battle rifle cartridge. Different roles.

I'm not sure I'd consider 140gr at 80,000psi "light recoil." About 3x what the spc is.
.277 GPC is an AI version of the 6.8 SPC, it cannot be grouped with the Fury/6.8x51