What are rifle (s) are you taking to elk hunt this year?

Usually go 3rd but had to go 4th this year due to our deer season opening later.
Leave a couple for us and good luck to ya.

I don't get to go every year (I live in the east, have friends in MT to hunt with when we can get our schedules to match) but when I go next time, I'll be taking two nearly identical DIY savages in 280AI. First one sends 168 VLDS at 3015, second one is still parts on my bench....

well planning on taking Remington 300wsm by weaver rifles and a browning 325wsm, but got my 280AI now and am having issues with my choice??? 180 accubonds for 300, 200gr accubonds for 325wsm. still working on loads for 280.....

Savage 99 chambered in .300 Savage, using Double Tap Ammo, 165 gr. Nosler Accubond. It was my dad's gun, purchased before I was born. I will also have my .308 with me as a backup. I'm cow hunting in Kentucky.

Hey kayak. See you use the ole 99 too. I have one, made in the 50's, dad has 2 of them. One is his dad's and the other his uncle's. The uncle's was never tapped for a scope. Both bought new back in the 30's.
We call them 'ole meat in the pot'. I take mine as a backup to Colorado. Took my first elk with it there. I always have used the Core-Lokt 180 gr. Had to switch to Federal last year as Remington only makes the 150 gr now. How do those Double Taps shoot and group for you ? I like the idea of a 165gr round to reach out a little farther if needed.

These are some amazing results from this informal poll!!!

Y'all like a wide variety of hunting irons - everything from some big 338's to some of the more traditional, "get it done" chamberings and much in between!

So, thus far here is the run down.

I've listed the choices by caliber size and then by case capacity. I may have gotten some of it mixed up, but it's generally in the ballpark.

Also, some folks listed one rifle for long distance and another for carry. I put the carry rifle as the 2nd choice in those instances.

1st Choice chamberings
340 Weatherby – x1
338 Edge +P – x1
338 Edge (normal) – x2
300 RUM – x2
300 Win Mag – x1
300 WSM – x2
30-06 – x1
300 Savage – x1
7mm Rem Mag – x2
280 AI – x1
6.5mm/300 Win Mag – x1
270 Win – x1

2nd Choice chamberings
338 Lapua – x1
300 RUM – x1
30-338 Norma – x1
300 WSM – x1
30-06 – x1
300 Savage - x1
7mm STW – x1

6.5 SAUM – x1

Thanks for tagging in and I'll continue to tally the results as we go from here.

6.5 x 284 cooper with 140 grain nosler accubonds for bull i drew over by Cody and cant wait.

for cow unit 7 i havent decided yet might use the same but if i have time i would like to use a lymans great plain w/ round balls or a 30-06 garand

1st choice
Sako A7 300 win mag- My new rifle, never taken big game with it yet but excited to give it a go.

2nd choice
Savage 11 308 win.- Ol reliable, she knows how to handle elk already

I just got done customizing my Remington SPS in a 300 wm. I had a Shelen barrel and a muzzle break installed and put a Bell and Carlson stock on it. I'm using Berger 215 hybrid bullets behind some H1000 powder. Very accurate padt 700 yards and weighs aboout 8 1/2 with scope. This will be my only rifle for antelope, elk and deer. If something would happen I'll borrow my hunting buddy's 300 wm.

Ill have 2 as well.
1st choice is my 338rum xcr with B&C carbelite stock, Gentry 45degree break and custom trigger. This rifle constantly fires clover leafs and smaller with 225 accubonds and is nice to carry.
I recently got into a heated debate in Beartooth Guns in Billings because the guys there told me I didn't need that big of a caliber to elk hunt. I said your right! But I will prove you wrong. I work all year dreaming about one 3 second period when I may have to take a poor angel shot on a bull. See, I backpack into the wilderness in MT. and there is always competition in the area's I hunt. If I see a bull I want to take and its a less then perfect scenario, I know I have the right rifle to take one shot and make one kill in a hurry. I would never take an unethical shot but knowing Ill put the elk down quickly really helps the confidence, and I am a big proponent of having all the odds on my side. Yes, I have a 338wm, 300wm, 264wm, 30-06 and of course a 71-348. But for that moment of truth, seems like I am always clinging to my 338ultra. And by the way, the last 5 years I have taken 5 6x6 bulls, the largest scoring 329" and the smallest being 277" 3 with a bow and two with the ultra.
And for my back up, it will be the trusty Browning 71-348. Some guns ya just gotta love!
Good Luck, work hard and shoot straight!

I'll be backpacking in with my 338rum on my 1st season cow/bear hunt and my 2nd season bull hunt.

And a 338-300wsm ready to go in the truck.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.