What are rifle (s) are you taking to elk hunt this year?

fmajor

As the title states.....

I'm taking my Rem 700 ADL in 7mm Rem Mag - year of manufacture 1982 (got it for HS graduation for....... you got it - ELK HUNTING!!!!!

Looking to take my 1st elk! I'm not dreaming of some 300+ monster (it would be nice though), just looking to realize a long-held dream come true with some time in the mountains and hopefully an elk (or two!) to put in the freezer.

I always take 2 rifles on any elk hunt.
The primary rifle that will go is a OLD Savage Model 110E in 30-06, it has taken the last 24 Elk i have harvested.
This years back up will be a 338 Lapua.

V/R
M.Bird

1. Carlock Defensive Edge 338 Edge +P for long range
2. Gunwerks 300 RUM for packing gun

Perfect North Idaho set up.....as long as we don't all burn up!!!

Marcus

I always take two a s well!!

1.Defensive Edge 338 edge canyon rifle for when I go long
2. Light weight version of the canyon rifle in 7mm stw for packing

Last edited:
As the title states.....

I'm taking my Rem 700 ADL in 7mm Rem Mag - year of manufacture 1982 (got it for HS graduation for....... you got it - ELK HUNTING!!!!!

Looking to take my 1st elk! I'm not dreaming of some 300+ monster (it would be nice though), just looking to realize a long-held dream come true with some time in the mountains and hopefully an elk (or two!) to put in the freezer.

Where are you hunting elk? I am very excited for you, the thrill of the hunt esp. when blessed with harvesting a majestic wapiti is simply amazing and gratifying, and most esp. when it's your first. Good luck and happy safe hunting.

This year is my 2nd year to hunt with just 1 rifle for all species for the season. I have a all factory (except for MB install) Savage 11 FCNS in .300 WSM propelling the 215 Berger VLD.

In the past, I have a different rifle just about in every outing. :rolleyes: Now, I'll just have 1 rifle but multiple back up choices. :cool:

I'm actually hoping my hunting buddies and I get lucky during archery. :D

Cheers!

Ed

Last edited:
I already use my 6.5-300wm on a cow and I'll probably use it or my 6.5saum for my bull hunt. I might take my 30-338 Norma Imp along as back up for my bull hunt.

Where are you hunting elk? I am very excited for you, the thrill of the hunt esp. when blessed with harvesting a majestic wapiti is simply amazing and gratifying, and most esp. when it's your first. Good luck and happy safe hunting.

Thanks! I'm very excited to say the least and will be hunting in CO - GMU 54 (West Elks). I'm semi-familiar with the area having hiked and backpacked there a bit.

This year is my 2nd year to hunt with just 1 rifle for all species for the season. I have a all factory (except for MB install) Savage 11 FCNS in .300 WSM propelling the 215 Berger VLD.

In the past, I have a different rifle just about in every outing. :rolleyes: Now, I'll just have 1 rifle but multiple back up choices. :cool:

Well done!!! I'm looking to develop a 2 or 3 rifle battery and for me, simplicity is best. Isn't there a saying....."do not take lightly the man with just one rifle - he probably knows how to use it"

I'm actually hoping my hunting buddies and I get lucky during archery. :D

Cheers!

Ed

Great! Are you using a stick-bow or compound? I'm pretty sure you'll get into game though...

Well done!!! I'm looking to develop a 2 or 3 rifle battery and for me, simplicity is best. Isn't there a saying....."do not take lightly the man with just one rifle - he probably knows how to use it"

Always have room for improvement and there's a lot more out there to learn. Thanks!

Great! Are you using a stick-bow or compound? I'm pretty sure you'll get into game though...

It's a 2012 PSE Omen Pro. I am happy just to be afield but will gladly take any blessing(s) sent my way. :cool:

Cheers!

Attachments

• 0828150506.jpg
    0828150506.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 169
Primary ; Winchester model 70 in 7mm mag
Backup ; 'Ole meat in the pot' Savage model 99 in 300 Savage
Coyote and prairie dogs ; Custom Czech vz. 24 in 220 swift, 8x Litschert scope
What season are you hunting fmajor ?

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.