2022 Elk Hunt, where are you going

Outdoorplay

It's that time of year when our tags have come in and we are getting things going for the big hunt. I know a lot of us Bow hunters have already done our 2022 hunts, (for me that's in Utah), but this post is about the rifle seasons.

for that's Montrose Co, this will be my 24th year going here, over the years I normally go with 4 to 5 guys. I have mentored many over the years. but this year, I find myself going by myself. out of all the years of going, it will be my first time hunting elk all alone, I'm not worried about it, but the pack out going to suck, as I hike in 2 to 7 miles. packing out the meat that far is going to be a haul needless to say. but its what you have to do for success.
I do have many I have met why I was hunting (I hunt zone 64, 65) up there and this year hoping I see some formulate faces, share a campfire, and tell some hunt stories.

Attachments

• elk and deer hunt 08 002.jpg
    elk and deer hunt 08 002.jpg
    24.3 KB · Views: 181
  • IMG_20131104_072929.jpg
    IMG_20131104_072929.jpg
    855.2 KB · Views: 175
  • Elk 07 036.jpg
    Elk 07 036.jpg
    562.3 KB · Views: 181
  • Elk 07 077.jpg
    Elk 07 077.jpg
    425.1 KB · Views: 179
  • IMG_20121111_081820.jpg
    IMG_20121111_081820.jpg
    454.6 KB · Views: 171
  • PTDC0081.JPG
    PTDC0081.JPG
    969.5 KB · Views: 181
Is this real...

You think people are going to note where they are going, units and all?

Don't get me wrong, I'm actually all for it personally, but I've seen entire FORUMS that don't allow it at all, let alone the crazy people that have posted in threads all but threatening death to people who note areas and where they hunt.

And the threads started when a TV show or TV personality notes a specific area... dumpster fire

People hide "their" land, "their" lake, as though they don't realize it isn't theirs but rather ours, talk of slashing tires, breaking windows and such... unfortunately a sore on all hunters.

But I'll play in about the only way I can as I don't hunt anything really "coveted," I musky fish Island Lake Reservoir North of Duluth, biggest so far is a white 52" that was a wet bag of cement to reel in.

Come on out, maybe I'll see ya.

Good luck with the thread, these usually go south in a hurry. Hope you find success for elk.

I spent a lifetime mentoring people in the woods and on the water, and ya there are some people like that, I call the 10% rule and it is what it is. I have never seen it I have heard story but once again no one I know has it happened to
but once they do it to the wrong person they just don't come back from the woods.

I hunt outside of Montrose, 64, 65 just those 2 zones are well over a few hundred square miles. I have some great friends that I have met on the hills over the years, I have helped many guys hike their meat out. and in return, I have had the same guys help me pack out some meat.

when you tell someone your'er hunting XXX zone for X state, you're not telling them where you hunt, for you, it's like saying I fish at the north end of the lake. big area, chances are unless they fish with you they may get close to your spot but they are not going to be on your spot

Outdoorplay sounds like a good dude and fellow hunter to me.

I'd gladly lend a hand back hauling some meat if I was around.
thank you, and I think that's what it's about, if I see an older guy out there and I hear a shot, I'll go see if he needs some help. hell, some of the best stories come from the pack out. hell, one year I saw a dad with his 13-year-old daughter on her first hunt, told him to give me his # and if I see one I'll help them get it done. well a day later I was tagged out and was just scouting and saw a nice 6x7 called him up, and gave him the long and lats, he met me on the road and I walked them in, she made a great shot at about 400 yards. one of my proudest hunts helping them get her first elk.

.... one year I saw a dad with his 13-year-old daughter on her first hunt, told him to give me his # and if I see one I'll help them get it done. well a day later I was tagged out and was just scouting and saw a nice 6x7 called him up, and gave him the long and lats, he met me on the road and I walked them in, she made a great shot at about 400 yards. one of my proudest hunts helping them get her first elk.

Man, that's as good as it gets. 👍🏼 She'll remember you and her first elk when she's old & we're all hunting celestial meadows.