Where in Wyoming to hunt Elk?

Good for you Sir, as I'm very impressed with your credentials! It sounds like you're a lot further along than what I assumed you were from just reading a couple of your posts. Shame on me for "assuming" anything, LOL! Good luck and I'm sure you'll get more advice from the guys. I might offer one thing up and that is if you can't get on an elk hunt right away that you might even think about going to Wyoming with some cheap antelope doe tags this coming season. That is a fun big game hunt and you'd get your feet wet and see some neat country to boot. Good luck!

Thanks for the advice. I will definitely consider it as well.

Reduced Price Type 6 cow tags are a gimme in a lot of the Wyoming units and are about 1/2 the price of a bull tag. That is also an excellent way to get your feet wet actually hunting elk while you build PPs for a bull!

Reduced Price Type 6 cow tags are a gimme in a lot of the Wyoming units and are about 1/2 the price of a bull tag. That is also an excellent way to get your feet wet actually hunting elk while you build PPs for a bull!

Thanks for the info Topgun. Good to know there are a few options.

My recommendation is to put in for an additional cow elk tag, type 6 or 7. Some areas with these tags are hard to get access, but others have hunter management areas that offer good access. If you can shoot far, it ups your chances as elk many times stay in areas out there a ways. It takes time to learn elk areas and learn their habits. Booking with an outfitter is very good advice.

MDSlammer,
Utah is next door and anterless elk tags are available for numerous areas. Being that you live in Las Vegas, contact Sin City Precision they have shooters with allot of experience. Some also hunt. My daughter lives in Vegas, so PM me with contact information and I'll get in touch with you when I'm in town. I've had outstanding luck on cow tags over the years in Utah.
Gonzo
SEMPER FIDELIS

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.