What are rifle (s) are you taking to elk hunt this year?

If I don't go for the late season archery hunt, I will be taking my Remington 700 in 7mm-08. It shoots the 140gr Accubonds decently well, though I am hoping to develop loads for the 150gr ABLRs and the 162gr ELD-Xs and see how they do. Inside 400 yards, which is probably my practical limit for game these days, it should take any legal elk dumb enough to become a target. The backup would be my old H&R Shakari break action 45-70, which is good to roll anything within 150ish yards over good and proper.

Used my 30/06 Rem 700 with a Razor 5 x 20 and for backup or short distance a 6.5 Creed with Swift 5 x 20 on it, antelope, deer and elk....They haven't failed me yet-meat in the freezer all year.

Just put if for a private land cow tag, August 15 to January 1. Hoping to hunt the ranch with my Freedom Arms 454 Casull this year.
Second tag will most likely be archery. Had some good bulls, and one of the biggest I've ever seen in Colorado, on the place last September.
10 year old grandson moving back to CO from NC this summer. He was a little tyke when they left, and he can't wait to hang out, ride motorcycles, and hunt with his cousins and granddad.
I've got a kid-size 7-08 just waiting for him.
This is gonna be fun!

I've got a 338 lapua coming for this years group hunt. I had planned to take my TRG42 in 338 but I ran into a trade on a rem 700 action in a manners t5 100% carbon with a proof research barrel at 28" built by Phoenix Custom Rifles. The guy I traded with is waiting on the T5mini chassis to arrive from manners . The barreled action comes in at 5lb 5 oz. I expect with stock and all rifle should be approx 9lb with a scope maybe 10.5-11 lb ish. Load and bullet are yet to be determined. Really looking forward to shooting it though. I have access to a 1200yd range, so when I get a load worked up for it I should be able to get some really good data on it and be fully prepared to utilize all that extra horsepower this fall when I get to Wyoming.

Good thread, I've done all my Elk killing with a 270wsm shooting 130gr Ttsx but this year I'm mixing it up a bit and my day to day packing rifle will be a....

-280ai Remington Titanium with a 25 oz Bansner stock, 23.125" Lothar Walther barrel, tac pro cheek rest and a Vortex HS-t 4-16x44 shooting 168 hunting vld....weighing in at 7lbs all up

-my gun if I know I'm going into more open country is a 338 Edge built on a stainless m700 28" benchmark fluted barrel, wearing a M40 B&C stock w/tac pro cheek rest and a nightforce 5.5-22x56 nxs shooting 300 gr OTM tacticals weighing in at 11lbs all up

My first Elk hunt will be this fall in Wyoming. Really like my 270 Win Tikka. It shoots
sub 1 moa with 110gr TSXs, 130gr Accubonds and 150gr Partitions. The Partition
will be my choice. 57.5gr of RL-22 leaves my 22' tube @ 2850MV. The NP and me
are good out to 325yds or so. Won't shoot any farther than that.

As the title states.....

I'm taking my Rem 700 ADL in 7mm Rem Mag - year of manufacture 1982 (got it for HS graduation for....... you got it - ELK HUNTING!!!!!

Looking to take my 1st elk! I'm not dreaming of some 300+ monster (it would be nice though), just looking to realize a long-held dream come true with some time in the mountains and hopefully an elk (or two!) to put in the freezer.

Have had good success with 300WSM (180 gr Accubond) Savage, 270 Win (various rifles, all bonded bullets), 25-06 Rem (with TTSX bullets only). Just bought a 6.5 Creedmoor for sub-350 yard hunting with the new ELD-X because it will weigh in at about 7.25 when set up and easy to backpack with.

Favorite is the 270 Winchester with 140 grain Accubonds to 450 yards. The 300 WSM is a nice step up in power and range without a ridiculous amount of recoil.

As the title states.....

I'm taking my Rem 700 ADL in 7mm Rem Mag - year of manufacture 1982 (got it for HS graduation for....... you got it - ELK HUNTING!!!!!

Looking to take my 1st elk! I'm not dreaming of some 300+ monster (it would be nice though), just looking to realize a long-held dream come true with some time in the mountains and hopefully an elk (or two!) to put in the freezer.

Have had good success with 300WSM (180 gr Accubond) Savage, 270 Win (various rifles, all bonded bullets), 25-06 Rem (with TTSX bullets only). Just bought a 6.5 Creedmoor for sub-350 yard hunting with the new ELD-X because it will weigh in at about 7.25 when set up and easy to backpack with.

Favorite is the 270 Winchester with 140 grain Accubonds to 450 yards. The 300 WSM is a nice step up in power and range without a ridiculous amount of recoil. Your 7mm is square in the middle of solid elk rounds right between my 300 and 270s. Good luck!!

Elk hunt second season. First choice 338 Sinwith 250 Berger elete if I can get all parts in and a load developed. Second choice is my stand by and usual got o g7n is a 7 MMSTW with 140 Berger hunting vld.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.