What are rifle (s) are you taking to elk hunt this year?

Primary will be a Win Mod. 70 264 WM shooting 142 gr ABLR.

I still haven't decided on the back-up. Either the 6.5 swede and some 140's or the 308. I'm leaning towards the 308.

I finally shot my Big Swede with the 180TTSX Double Tap ammo. It was scary accurate, but no way would I just use this ammo...with S&H I ended up at $95...wow. ha However, It allowed me to see how well my rifle shot. I am going to start now with the Barnes 200TTSx ( I am still awaiting the development of Mr Hammer's 220 in 358!) :)

Unfortunately no elk in Aus, closest we have size and toughness wise would be sambar.
Have carried 240wby, 375H&H & 45/70 after them this season, so far the 240wby is the only one on the score board.

I'll be using my .260 Ackley sending a 140 Berger H-VLD @ 2980 fps. Got a nice little point that my buddy and I are going to sit on opening morning and wait for a couple big 6's that we have been watching to step out in the early morning sun...

#1: Remington Model 7 in 6.5 GAP4S with 24" barrel, pushing 140 Berger H-VLD at 2955 fps. Light weight and deadly accurate.

#2: MRC1999 in 300WSM with 25" barrel, launching 200gr Accubonds at 2850 fps. Traditional magnum sporter weight.

Will have a 338 Lapua AI in camp for those special LR occasions. With that in camp, I'm not sure I need to borrow my buddy's 338 Big Bear; would live to stone an elk with it once though.

Chris

Unfortunately no elk in Aus, closest we have size and toughness wise would be sambar.
Have carried 240wby, 375H&H & 45/70 after them this season, so far the 240wby is the only one on the score board.

What are you running with the 240 WBY? We all know the other two will knock one down easily. Man, I love a .45-70 but that isn't exactly Long Range.

One day I'll be able to afford a nice custom rifle, but until then my trusty Savage 7mm Rem Mag will be my rifle of choice for elk. I have a good rifle bull hunt this November and my trigger finger is getting itchy.

Winchester Model 70 in 7mm mag Core Lokt Ultrabond 160 gr

Savage model 99 in 300 Savage Core Lokt 180 gr

And a custom VZ24 in 220 swift, Litschert 8x optics, Hornady 55 gr
( just in case a coyote or prairie dog needs taming )

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.