What .30 cal to build on Proof Carbon Sendero 26” 1-9.4”

Discussion in 'Long Range Hunting & Shooting' started by Troutslayer2, Oct 21, 2019.

Help Support Long Range Hunting by donating:

1. Elkaholic Bob

Elkaholic Bob Well-Known Member

I am deeply invested in the 300 win mag(3 rifles, brass, dies and such) if I was starting over I would take a hard look into the 300prc, but that’s just me. Flip a coin and run with it. You can always build something different later. Good luck

2. nathank

nathank Well-Known Member

for a hunting rifle in a short or medium action my vote is WSM, in a long action my vote would be RUM.

If i find someone selling a proof blank for a decent price in canada i will be doing a 300 WSM build off of a Savage Lightweight Hunter action and 178 ELD-X for mountain hunting.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2019
  3. ofbandg

ofbandg Well-Known Member

30-06

It's as common as dirt but I am still constantly being amazed by what all the new powders and other components can do to revitalize this old timer - and you are way less likely to have a feeding or extraction problem in the field.

baldhunter, OG10 and cbjones89 like this.
  4. Litehiker

Litehiker Well-Known Member

300 PRC

Jud96 and cbjones89 like this.
  5. kraig

kraig Well-Known Member

If it were me I'd try the 300PRC. I really like my current tactical build and wouldn't mind it in a hunting rifle because the 212ELD-X work great & I think you can get them in a 230g as well. Can buy factory ammo or reload. It just works good with the bigger bullets. I'm running 1:9 twist.

If I were going for lighter bullets in the 150g-180g I'd stick with 300WM.

Whatever you do put up a picture and let us know how it turns out.

6. David Lindler

David Lindler Well-Known Member

300 Norma mag has long neck and will allow u to seat heavier bullets out past the shoulder junction
    US Military adopted is for new long range sniper weapon for a reason.

7. Mram10us

Mram10us Well-Known Member LRH Team Member

Lindler, I was in the military and can tell you if they adopt something, I generally run the other way :)

8. dxlbaile

dxlbaile Well-Known Member

Good ole 300 win mag...! You can buy twice as much ADG brass for the same price as trying to buy 30 Nosler or the others.. If you chamber it right you will be happy all the way around. If money is no issue then go 30 Nosler it has the best brass right now.. The PRC does not have good brass options IMHO.

9. Troutslayer2

Troutslayer2 Well-Known Member

Thanks ya’ll. I think I’m going to go with 30 Nosler. Manners EH5, maybe EH5A, Defiance action and bottom metal/MB to be determined. Ya’ll think the cartridge is going to be around for a while/gain traction? Seems like a great compromise between everything I’m looking for.

10. Ron Milby

Ron Milby Well-Known Member LRH Team Member

+1 for the 300 Norma Mag. Very easy cartridge to tune and will launch 215 Hybrids around 3100 fps.

11. Mram10us

Post pics....in 6 months :)

12. Eagleye242

Eagleye242 Active Member

Be a rogue! Chamber that puppy in 308 Norma Magnum. Just a sweetheart to load for, accurate, and a nice neck for those 200 grain + bullets.

13. Mram10us

I’ll even sell you my accurate 308 Norma (not to be confused with the 300 Norma) reamer :)

14. Beardeddeer91

Beardeddeer91 Well-Known Member

I’d go 300 WM just for cost and ease of getting quality brass from several sources. That being said if you wanted to extend it out a little further then a 30 Nosler. I would say RUM but I would prefer a little longer barrel to get more out of it ideally. I don’t like the current brass quality of 300 PRC so imo it would be out.

Wolf76 likes this.