What .30 cal to build on Proof Carbon Sendero 26” 1-9.4”

Most guys are kinda recoil adverse, that said though I like the RUM option the 30 Nosler or a long throated 300 Win set up for 190-210's seems perfect.

I have had several 30 caliber rifles, from the 300 WSM to the 30-378 and loved them all. The 300 WSM makes a great lightweight mountain rifle shooting 150 grain bullets.
Just got a 300 PRC but haven't had enough time to tell if I'm going to like it, love it or hate it. Good luck with your build.

If you go 300 WSM, I would not do a short action. With short action, it may be difficult to seat bullets (off the lands) for best accuracy and still use the mag...just a comment based on my experience.

A long action throated correctly 300wsm with 215 Berger's would be great set up. I'd suggest looking into a Tikka with Mountain Tactical's new billet long action mag's for WSM.

I scored a great deal on a Proof Sendero 26", 1-9.4". I've been without a .30 for a while, other than the old model 94 anyway.

.308, 300WM, 300WSM, 300 NM are all under consideration.

Part of me thinks that I could build a .308 super light with a lifetime of barrel life, and part of me wants to build a 300 NM for cross canyon elk hunting... BUT I know myself. If it ends up weighing more than maybe 7-8 pounds unscoped, it will never see action. So I'm wondering how enjoyable shooting a sub 8# 300 Norma would be. I'm also a little concerned about components, namely brass.

Never had a short action so 300 WSM is somewhat appealing but then you end up pretty pigeonholed with that bolt face- not a lot of directions to take that one in.

I don't know. I need to add a 30 cal to the stable. I primarily shoot 280AI with 168 grain bullets so I'm looking to build something that brings something different to the table. What would you do?
My go to rifle for 20 yrs has been a 300 wsm. Things just die in front of it. I shoot 168 barnes ttsx at 3260 out of 26 in benchmark barrel, win short action, shoots about .6 to .7 moa with the barnes seated 50 thou off lands.
I scored a great deal on a Proof Sendero 26", 1-9.4". I've been without a .30 for a while, other than the old model 94 anyway.

.308, 300WM, 300WSM, 300 NM are all under consideration.

Part of me thinks that I could build a .308 super light with a lifetime of barrel life, and part of me wants to build a 300 NM for cross canyon elk hunting... BUT I know myself. If it ends up weighing more than maybe 7-8 pounds unscoped, it will never see action. So I'm wondering how enjoyable shooting a sub 8# 300 Norma would be. I'm also a little concerned about components, namely brass.

Never had a short action so 300 WSM is somewhat appealing but then you end up pretty pigeonholed with that bolt face- not a lot of directions to take that one in.

I don't know. I need to add a 30 cal to the stable. I primarily shoot 280AI with 168 grain bullets so I'm looking to build something that brings something different to the table. What would you do?
U didnt state if this was hunting or comp rifle. I assumed hunting because you want light wt. I have most all the big boys. Wouldnt want i. Sub 8 lb package. Dont love brake on hunting rifles for noise and, they add wt. Have shot deer by the dozens, bear about 20, elk, many many like 50 head of african game including blue wildebeast which are tough, 3 big eland bulls, about 15 kudu. Out to 550 yds . With a zeiss conguest 4.5-14 x 44 , sling, weighs right at 8 lbs. With proof wrapped barrel your should be lighter.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.