New gun, what .26 cal to go for?

Norway

Hello all.
I am waiting for my .246 Win Mag, and now my brother likes to have a long range gun to.

He likes a 26 cal gun, not to heavy on the shoulder and also not to hard when it comes to recoil. He does not like heavy recoil.
What is is looking at now is:
6.5 Grendel
6.5x47 Lapua

Brass for them is easy to get here in Norway, that is why he likes to go for one of them.
I say 6.5x47 Lapua.
But he likes the short Grendel case a lot.
So, I/he need some help.
He will be hunting red deer here in Norway, more or less same size as a mule deer and rein deer.
130-140 gr vld or AB/ABLR bullets.

I do feel the 6.5 Grendel will be a bit on the low side, that is why I vote for the Lapua caliber.
But, feel free moment, pro and cons.

Thanks for helping.

The x47 would be a much better choice. Yes, you can kill animals that size with a grendel, but the long range potential of the 6.5x47 is much better. And recoil won't be an issue, my 11 year old niece shoots my .260 Ackley Improved sending 147's at 3075 fps without a flinch.

6.5X47. Mine shoots the 130 Berger really good at 3000 fps with H4350. With a muzzle brake there is virtually no recoil.

Hello and thanks for the reply.
I did forget to say he will be hunting up to around 300 yards. Some steel and paper shooting up to 700 yards.

But, thanks for the help. Will lett him know.

No problem on deer size game out to 300 yds. My range only goes out to 910 yards. I shoot steel at that range with my X47 with no problem at all.

Again, unless your into benchrest or some type of match competition and an uncertain world to say the least in the brass world I'd just go with a plain Jane ole' .260 Remington...I stay away from pulling my hair out down the road as much as possible these days...there's nothing it can't do in the hunting world that anything listed above can do any day !

What about the 6.5x55 Swede? Seems like components would be widely available in that neck of the woods...Not sure how that works over there.

Hello and thanks for the reply.
I did forget to say he will be hunting up to around 300 yards. Some steel and paper shooting up to 700 yards.

But, thanks for the help. Will lett him know.

For sure the x47 with that said.

Steve

What about the 6.5x55 Swede? Seems like components would be widely available in that neck of the woods...Not sure how that works over there.

6.5x55 Swede is what I was thinking would be the natural choice as well and in a modern action should easily outperform the other 6.5's mentioned.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.