$1,500 to spend, what to get for a gun

I like the 300 win mag, great selection of factory ammo if you do not reload. With just a little tweaking it can be a good 1000yd rifle. As a rule I like to spend as much on the optics that I can afford. You can get just about any rifle to shoot to 500 yds well. A little bit more on the glass will put you out to 1000yds. If you reload, you have an additional advantage.

I've got a $1,500 credit at a local big box store. Want to get a new LR hunting rifle. Something that can take down elk and use for longer shots. possibly moose too. Preference is lighter weight, would like a muzzle break but not necessarily needed. thinking at 300 win mag, or similar caliber, maybe 30 nosler? If needed i could also spend a couple more bucks out of pocket but would prefer not to.

What would you get for a gun coming straight from the box. give me your top 3 choices.
.30 Nosler gets my vote.

OK, for a hunting rifle let me recommend the Browning X-Bolt Pro (Long Range if you like the 26" barrel or regales Pro if you like the 22" barrel.)
This is a "Semi-Custom" rifle and browning gives you a lot for around $,1600. including a stainless steel action and barrel, factory lapped barrel, carbon fiber stock, great trigger and much more including burnt bronze Cerakote.

For a less $$ is the X-Bolt Hell's Canyon but not stainless, factory lapped barrel or carbon fiber stock. IT also comes in a Long Range version.

Out-of-the-box accuracy is what Browning has been noted for.

Eric B.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.