what gun to go with?

can the savages shoot as well as the rem 700 cdl? I always hear people say that out of all their guns the 700's out shoot any of their collection. i am only asking because i am looking at savage 111 left hand and rem 700 left hand (sps or cdl)

Any rifle of any make can be a lemon. Some will shine better than they should. On average, I have found the Savage to need the least amount of work to get them to shoot. With hand loading most rifles will be very accurate. The nice thing about the 111 is that you will have the accu-trigger. This gives you the operator the opportunity to tune the trigger w/o having to take it to a gunsmith or look up a how too on the internet should you decide to do it your self. I would suggest shouldering the rifle and if it feels good, buy it. Buy a couple different brands of ammo and bullet weights to see what it likes. If you hand load, pick the exact bullet you want to use, and start tuning a load for your rifle. I have shot both Remington and Savage, and I like the Savages. Though... I will admit, after tuning a hand load, doing a bedding job and tuning the trigger, my model 7 in .243 shoots great. My Savage out of the box shot better with hand loads, but I was a little pickier with the reloads on that rifle.:rolleyes:

Tank

I see your original post was a month ago . . . but will give my 2 cents anyway.
I love Savage. Have a model 11 in .308 that I have taken elk, mulies, and antelope at long range (longest was just under 400 yds). .308 is plenty gun for anything!
So, I wanted a 25-06 to "play" with and didn't want to spend a house payment to get it.
I took a chance and got the Savage Axis. To my amazement, it shot every bit as good as the model 11 .308! First time out shot 1" groups (as advertised!) at 100yds. (Have pics if you like.)
Savage cuts back on stock, trigger (no accutrigger), and the like. All Axis come with detatchable magazine only because of how the action is built. They do not cut corners on barrels (I'm told they are made right next to the higher priced model barrels). They are 22" and Dual Pillar Bedded. Retail starting around $380 and street price a little over $300.00.
This gun cannot be beaten at that price or more!! Spend your money on good optics instead of triggers, stocks and barrels.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.