What’s your longest kill shot of 2022?

I know everyone on this forum, including myself love talking about our long kill shots. That being said, myself and my friend were on our power line cut where we can see for a 1000 yards in one direction and 400 plus in several others. It was light rain but we went anyway because of the extreme cold coming in this week will shut down these southern deer. This guy is one of the best shots I know, but crap happens and it happened today. Nice eight pt. Came out at 450 yards on same trail that I shot a doe few days ago. It was about to get in the thick pines but turned downhill and stopped about five yards from the pines. I ranged it at 429 and spotted for him. At the shot I saw it react to the hit and stick its tail straight out. Now it's in the pines. I put my binos up and looked at him ,he said look! But it was gone. He saw a deer bust out of the pines and run into a briar thicket on other side of the cut line. Well two hours later I found blood where briars met cutover. five hours and a blood trailing dog later its three hundred yards onto other property where we can see houses.That's when we turned away. How many of (these) long shots never get heard about on the forum?

I know everyone on this forum, including myself love talking about our long kill shots. That being said, myself and my friend were on our power line cut where we can see for a 1000 yards in one direction and 400 plus in several others. It was light rain but we went anyway because of the extreme cold coming in this week will shut down these southern deer. This guy is one of the best shots I know, but crap happens and it happened today. Nice eight pt. Came out at 450 yards on same trail that I shot a doe few days ago. It was about to get in the thick pines but turned downhill and stopped about five yards from the pines. I ranged it at 429 and spotted for him. At the shot I saw it react to the hit and stick its tail straight out. Now it's in the pines. I put my binos up and looked at him ,he said look! But it was gone. He saw a deer bust out of the pines and run into a briar thicket on other side of the cut line. Well two hours later I found blood where briars met cutover. five hours and a blood trailing dog later its three hundred yards onto other property where we can see houses.That's when we turned away. How many of (these) long shots never get heard about on the forum?
Most of them

This is long range hunting so let's not hear about ethics and all that jazz. Like the title asks, what's your longest kill shot this year, and what rifle Rifle did you use?
I'll start. My first bull elk public land Colorado 864 yards with a 300wsm I built myself. Badlands precision 195 gr bd2
1 Buck white tail-89 yds. 168 TTSX
Wife's claim
1 doe white tail-65 yds. 168 TTSX
Grand Sons claim
1 doe white tail-110 yds. 150 SP
my claim
Nothing special about any of them. We all shared the gun on different dates. Grand Sons claim was messy, gut shot. Had to do second shot from my .45 point blank to put her down. We all had a long discussion about the situation and the necessity of proper shot placement. Grand Son felt real bad about it. We will spend more range time prior to season next year, emphasizing shot placement and animal choice prior to taking shot.

Ar-308. My custom frankin build.
Just sittin' and waiting them out.

Last edited:
Speaking from experience. Pipelines and power lines are notorious for requiring a rushed shot, and the odds of flawless execution and perfect placement on a rushed shot are very slim
And you can add rifle ranges to the list, I will not talk about the one that I never recovered last year.
5313DBC4-0DFB-467C-A5E2-04E0F0814C60.jpeg

What did the damage look like from that bullet out of the Creedmoor? Probably like overkill!😁
I shot 2 deer with the 77 tmk this year out of the 22cm, the other at about 235 yards. I hit the first one in the shoulder and it shattered the scapula and I lost a good portion of the shoulder. The second one I made sure to keep it behind the shoulder but still hit a rib, destroyed lung and front of liver but didn't lose anything other than some rib meat. First deer didn't even twitch, was lights out immediately, 2nd lifted his head after he hit the ground but didn't take a step. I found the green tip of the first bullet but nothing else, didn't find anything from the second.

Recent Posts