.243 Win~ Longest shot and largest kill ???

robbobsam

Hiya Guys,

I use a few hunting websites in the UK and the guys seemed to be so preoccupied with bullet size and weight that they appear to have totally forgot about the importance of bullet placement.

I use a .243Win and have taken rabbits and hares up to 700yds, but have not taken anything larger than a muntjac with it, I was wondering what size game and at what range you guys had been using your .243 upto?

I mainly use my 243 for hunting coyotes but I have killed a few deer and a couple of elk with it. I killed a nice 3x4 blacktail buck a couple years ago at 475 yards. That same year I killed a cow elk at almost 400 yards with a shot to the back of the head. Dont think I would take a body shot past about 250 with the loads I use but can take head shots out past 500. I have killed coyotes with it around 750.

My neighbor took a 170 3/8" boone and crooket, 320 lbs mule deer buck at 387 yards and i have shot targets out too 600 yards to get comfortable with coyotes out too that range. i will be giong out saturday to see what i can do :)

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.