Made my longest kill shot this week.

WildBillG

Thursday afternoon I made my longest kill shot. I shot a Mule Deer buck at 625 yds. This is also my first kill with my semi custom 338 RUM. My load was a 300 grn Berger Elite Hunter doing 2845 over91.5 grn of N570 Bertram brass and Fed 215 primers. The bullet entered btween the brisket and front leg and exited in front of the opposite rear leg. No meat damage but the internals were a mess.
It was the second day of the season the buck I believe is 3 years old. He is not a trophy but a buck that did not need to be breeding does in the future as he was only a 2by 3. We spotted him at 950 yds yards and I said I will see if I can get a little closer. I ranged him as I walked toward the 4 bucks and when I reached a good spot to shoot from he was 623 yds away. I dialed in 8.25 MOA and held on the point of his front leg and squeezed. The Cadex break did its job and I was was able to see himstagger off hunched up. I did not know if I had hit him for sure but when my friend drove the truck up he said the buck was down. Sorry I have no pictures but I will always have this hunt in my mind. What makes all my hunts so special is that my eyes are not that great and I rely on friends to help me find game. Thanks to this forum I have learned enough to make this shot possible.

WildBill,
Just because it's not a monster or, "Trophy" buck doesn't mean its not a trophy. You should post a picture of it. If your in the photo you should have a big smile across your mug because you got good eats and reached a new milestone. Congrats on the buck and a good shot🙂

WildBill,
Just because it's not a monster or, "Trophy" buck doesn't mean its not a trophy. You should post a picture of it. If your in the photo you should have a big smile across your mug because you got good eats and reached a new milestone. Congrats on the buck and a good shot🙂
The definition of a real trophy lives with the person who took it. it can be a trophy for many reasons antler score is one but there are many others including things that happened on the hunt to make it memorable etc.