Longest shot

sevenmill

Hi there guys this is my first post.I've only just recently found this site and have read some very interesting stuff.
But I was wondering if anyone knows what the longest shot on a deer is or is this a disputed topic?

Cheers, James

Welcome aboard.

I don't know the answer to your question but we have a couple of guys here that have hit rockchucks at over 2000 yards. Thats more than 1.14 miles. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

I have personally taken 2 deer one @ 700yds one shot and the other @ 650yds one shot with a 7mag. I have a friend that has taken deer out to 1200yd but taken more than one shot.

Some guy who posts in these forums as well as on Precision Long Range Hunter claims to have nailed an elk at 2100 yards using a Sierra 33 caliber 300 grain Match King bullet. At that range, that bullet doesn't have much velocity and energy. To say nothing of the accuracy needed to even attempt a well placed shot with somewheres around 200 MOA elevation needed. But then who are we to challenge that claim? Or attempt it for that matter.

[ QUOTE ]
To say nothing of the accuracy needed to even attempt a well placed shot with somewheres around 200 MOA elevation needed. But then who are we to challenge that claim? Or attempt it for that matter

[/ QUOTE ]

bart you might want to run those numbers again. Also there was 4 witnesses/ spotters on the shot

the 338 they were using was a 338-416 with a mv of 3200 fps to get to 2100 yrds it takes @ 64 moa. granted it did only have @ 600 ft lbs energy, but thats enough to punch the big bullet through the boiler room.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif
d-a

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
To say nothing of the accuracy needed to even attempt a well placed shot with somewheres around 200 MOA elevation needed. But then who are we to challenge that claim? Or attempt it for that matter

[/ QUOTE ]

bart you might want to run those numbers again. Also there was 4 witnesses/ spotters on the shot

the 338 they were using was a 338-416 with a mv of 3200 fps to get to 2100 yrds it takes @ 64 moa. granted it did only have @ 600 ft lbs energy, but thats enough to punch the big bullet through the boiler room.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif
d-a [/quote/]

MOA elevation needed. But then who are we to challenge that claim? Or attempt it for that matter [/quote/]

I believe that the bullet was a 300 grain SMK and the momentum of that bullet would certainly be enough to pentrate and that is what kills

Well, I entered the wrong numbers. I goofed. Made a mistake. Was wrong in what I did. I may be the only person on this board that does that.

At 3200 fps, a 64 MOA come up the the .338 300 SMK looks about right.

But the 600 ft. lbs. of energy just ain't right. So now it's your turn to run the numbers again.

bart

my exbal has the impact velocity at 2100 yrds @ 954 fps. your program might do the subsonic calculations better than mine, i dont know dont care. but the basic formula for energy is
weight x velocity squared divided by 450395

300 X (954x954)/ 450395 = 606.21 (see original post) @ 600 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

d-a

Bart

There are plenty of witnesses to some of Darryl's feats even though I don't remember that he personally pulled the trigger on the one at 2100yds. I personally posted the video of Boyd's deer. The Pa shooters have their own particular techniques and equipment. If you get to know the people and their abilities and equipment then 2100 yds is a stretch and I couldn't do it but some of them are good enough to do it.

[ QUOTE ]
There are plenty of witnesses to some of Darryl's feats...

[/ QUOTE ]
I never said it couldn't be done. I've made a few myself, but don't consider them worthy of going into the details of. 'Twould be nice to find out what his (and others) 'feats' to 'failure' ratio is for such long shots. Mine, like the rest of the human race, is few to many. But that doesn't make good press. Having watched many of the world's best long range shooters do their stuff, wonderous things do happen at long range....once in a while.

[ QUOTE ]
The Pa shooters have their own particular techniques and equipment.

[/ QUOTE ]Lots of folks could use the same equipment and techniques. Heavy, accurate rifle shooting heavy, accurate bullets quite fast. Then measure the range, guess the sight settings, have some people watching the impact area then take a few sighting shots making corrections for each one and finally nailing the elk with a lucky shot.

Doesn't sound complicated, difficult or impossible to me. Military folks have been using the same technique for many years. There's lots of people who could do that. Personally, I'm not impressed. I would be if he had nailed the elk with the first fired shot.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
The Pa shooters have their own particular techniques and equipment.

[/ QUOTE ]Lots of folks could use the same equipment and techniques. Heavy, accurate rifle shooting heavy, accurate bullets quite fast. Then measure the range, guess the sight settings, have some people watching the impact area then take a few sighting shots making corrections for each one and finally nailing the elk with a lucky shot.

Doesn't sound complicated, difficult or impossible to me. Military folks have been using the same technique for many years. There's lots of people who could do that. Personally, I'm not impressed. I would be if he had nailed the elk with the first fired shot.

[/ QUOTE ]

Now I know why there is more than one long range hunting site and why the guys who were the topic of this thread are now elswhere with their vast knowledge and factual information.

James

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.