Longest shot?

pdog at 2217yrds. s. dakota
988yrds ground hog in pa.
9pt buck 123yrds neck shot 223cal.
38 yrds doe shot with a bow

827 yards on a white tail ,He was a nice one (10 point) and I had plenty of time to plan the shot.
and the STW hit within 1 inch of the aim point (Just luck) but it was fun.

It is good to see that most of the members shoot the varmints at extreme distance and hold
the distance to under 1200 yrds for big game.

There are some on this site that can and do shoot beyond that distance, But I am not one of
them, unless a pig or some other pest steps out in front of me then there is no limit on the
distance I will try.

J E CUSTOM

3 coyotes 300-319 yards.
Been practicing @ 600-840 and seeing deer in our long range shooting lane early in morning, me and buddy will be ready come deer season. We also just found a 900 yard lane. Looking forward to deer season.

gun)a pesky cat <25 yards with a 7mm ultra mag.. lol first animal killed with it.. i pry shoulda used somethin smaller...

I shot a coyote pup last week @ 470 yds,with my 7mmWSM.I would love to take varmints much farther,I just have not had the opportunity.

For many years I have had a 500yd limit that I could never get beyond. I use 2 aim points on my Leupold scopes that cover everything up to that point very well, but beyond that they are safe. Been watching no.1 son with his target scope dialing in according to the ballistic program and doing very well with it. The weak link is the rangefinding capability in the field.
We take great pride in our longest shots, but don't ask about our closest misses
icon9.gif

683 yards on a bull elk, 300WM driving 200ABs at 2945 fps. Tough critters, I put 4 into the vitals because he didn't even react until the 3rd one and stayed on his feet for a shot while even after the 4th.

I limit myself to about 800 yards as my rangefinder poops out around there typically, and also I do not get enough practice at distances longer than that.

I put a 338yd doe kill with a muzzleloader in the same class as the above shot, ballistic compensation was about the same and an Omega is not in the same league as a Sendero.

683 yards on a bull elk, 300WM driving 200ABs at 2945 fps. Tough critters, I put 4 into the vitals because he didn't even react until the 3rd one and stayed on his feet for a shot while even after the 4th.

I limit myself to about 800 yards as my rangefinder poops out around there typically, and also I do not get enough practice at distances longer than that.

I put a 338yd doe kill with a muzzleloader in the same class as the above shot, ballistic compensation was about the same and an Omega is not in the same league as a Sendero.
Isn't this the guy who chastized GG for taking more than 1 shot? and you took 4? gotta go find the iggy button!
RR

Isn't this the guy who chastized GG for taking more than 1 shot? and you took 4? gotta go find the iggy button!
RR

I fired 4, through the chest, because he was still on his feet and I knew he was hit. GG is an idiot who shoots at animals way past his effective range, taking 6 shots just to hit the thing, then brags he is some sort of great shot. Treating elk like prairie dogs. If you think that is ethical hunting, you're as bad as he is.

Add me to the list you have GG and RR on cause I'd prefer their company.

Consider it done. If you consider shooting an animal in the head when you were aiming at the chest something to brag about, or fire multiple times at an animal beyond the range you've tried before without hitting (much less making a vital shot) then go right ahead and try it again and claim so much talent at that range, I don't want to share camp with you. That's not what LRH is supposed to be about, and I can't defend it to those who look down on it (which I do quite often) when they can point to examples like this as being representative of our group. It makes us all look bad that you support it.

Longest shot was 750 yards with 7mm 168vld on a forked mule buck. The vlds are impressive, just DRT.

Last edited:
This is an old thread, but I'd figure I'd revive it. My longest 3 have been.

Small Rockchuck-786- 2 shots
Prairie Dog- 780- 10 shots
Rockchuck- 630- First shot

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.