What’s your five? 5 Calibers to do it all...

Hey guys,

I've been watching our threads for a while now and curiosity has got the best of me. With so many great choices out there for LRH which cartridges and calibers really set themselves apart from the rest, if any? Which ones make almost everyone's must have list? The reality is most people can't afford a half dozen rifles or more, so if you had the opportunity to hunt the world for everything from groundhogs to elephants and were limited to 5 cartridges or less what would they be? Just curious which ones consistently rise to the top and if any of the new Gucci cartridges make the cut or we wind up sticking with the tried and true. Feel free to state your reason or uses for each cartridge. I am not looking for a debate. There are no wrong answers. Everyone has there favorites. Just curious if there is any consistency? I think it could help some of the new guys narrow there choices when selecting their next cartridge....

I'll start! 308, 270 win, 300 WIn Mag, 338 RUM, 375 H&H. What are your thoughts???
Not much chance of Long Range here in Germany (max around 250 mtrs) so my go to calibers for what I hunt are 22lr, 270 win, .308 win, 30.06 sprg, 12ga... don't own a 223 but am thinking of getting one for the foxes and badgers. Additionally (in case a supposed to be dead Wild Boar jumps up and charges me), a 13 +1 .45 cal pistol that I can use to shoot or throw at it before tree climbing... 😁

Last edited:
Hey guys,

I've been watching our threads for a while now and curiosity has got the best of me. With so many great choices out there for LRH which cartridges and calibers really set themselves apart from the rest, if any? Which ones make almost everyone's must have list? The reality is most people can't afford a half dozen rifles or more, so if you had the opportunity to hunt the world for everything from groundhogs to elephants and were limited to 5 cartridges or less what would they be? Just curious which ones consistently rise to the top and if any of the new Gucci cartridges make the cut or we wind up sticking with the tried and true. Feel free to state your reason or uses for each cartridge. I am not looking for a debate. There are no wrong answers. Everyone has there favorites. Just curious if there is any consistency? I think it could help some of the new guys narrow there choices when selecting their next cartridge....

I'll start! 308, 270 win, 300 WIn Mag, 338 RUM, 375 H&H. What are your thoughts???
Well my list will be a little different but these calibers have serve d me well in multiple activities:
22LR
6.5x68R
300 H&H
30-06
45-70
6mm br

Okay I had to add one more.

This is what i have (its 6)

.223 shooting 73gr ELDM
6mm CM Shooting 103 Gr ELDX or 100 Tipped Game King
6.5 Grendel Shooting 100 ELDM
6.5 PRC Shooting 143 ELDM or 140 Berger Elite